[SOLVED] Computer won’t display

Apr 4, 2020
Just built a new pc . After one month or so I started having trouble turning it on. I would turn it on and all I would get is the monitor to stay idle and would leave the power button on the monitor In breathing mode but all components like fan , gpu rgb,rgb would all work.(monitor is also brand new and worked on another computer) After A ton of attempts it finally turns on and after a ton of repairs and blue screens of death it finally worked randomly. I Uninstalled some anti virus cause it said it could do that and then Played for a few hour and turned off to come back the next day and the same thing. . I took out all the cables and plugged them all back in swapped ram cause I thought it was that and Nothing. Swapped gpus still nothing . Both gpu and ram that I did swap were both brand new (friend let me swap to check)I took out all the pwm fans and rgb cables and tried that and nothing. Now all I have is the components working but nothing showing on the display. So it’s either the psu, mobo or cpu. Anyone ever have this issue if so what did you do what should I do? Here are my specs and thank you for whoever responds.

-Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology, Black/Red

-intel Core i5-9400F Desktop Processor 6 Cores 4.1 GHz Turbo Without Graphics

-CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 DRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model

-Asus Prime Z390-P LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z390 ATX Motherboard with USB 3.1 Gen2

-EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming, 08G-P4-3071-KR, 8GB GDDR6

-EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular

-Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler,280mm

Reactions: Bassplate
Solution
Sorry for late replay bro i went for an early bed nap:)
Okay so basically what you are going to do is...
disconnect everything(GPU,,,RAM,,,HARDRIVES,,,CD ROMS,,,FANS,,,ALL THE STUF THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE AT THE MOMENT)
The only things that needs to be connected is(CPU,,,CPU FAN...FRONTPANNEL CONNECTION(for power switch etc),,,POWER TO MOTHERBOARD,,,POWER TO CPU.)
Tro to reseat Your CPU real carefully again...check your power supply connection if there isnt faulty cables that maybe pulled out of it connection point(I do that all the time).
Check especially the cpu Power2 cable.
then try to reset your CMOS again(With the jumper method).Sometimes to reset it like this way is a complete Bios reset and maybe then there wil be...

Bassplate

Reputable
Hi there!
I had the same problem years back and when i saw your post i remembered what i did to solved the problem.
First of all...
Have you tried resetting your Bios?A Bios(CMOS) Reset could help for many situations according to this familiar problem...(Bios is the small 3v battery located on your mother Board)
When Building a new computer,Sometimes the New mother board is set on the factory testing setting...which means that its still programmed on the factory settings.

NOTE=when resetting your bios you are going to have to set everything up again ONLY the Bios like(Your boot order...your date and time etc)...Nothing wil happen to your windows or your personal files when resetting your bios.Just make sure that its boots right up to your windows(IF RESETTING YOUR BIOS SOLVED THE PROBLEM)

Other things you can try is by removing all your components EXCEPT!!(CPU,,,CPU FAN,,,HARDRIVE,,,POWERSUPPLY,,,RAM,,,BIOS BATTERY).
Then plug your screen directly into your motherboard and then check if your computer boots up with this setup...IF your computer boots up this way you can put each component one by one back into your computer.....lets say your computer boots up after every component you have put back in Except your GPU then you wil know that your gpu is faulty or has a problem or is not seated well....Try this and please let me know! :)

Apr 4, 2020
I don’t think it’s the gpu since I had tried another one that was working and I don’t think I can plug the monitor directly to the mobo but . I will try taking out the battery and I’ll let you know ty!!

Bassplate

Reputable
Of Course ...you can locate the HDMI port at the (Back Pannel)of your mother board...which you can plug your screen in for your testing.:)
Your on-board screen port wil be at the back of your motherboard under the USB ports...Use the hdmi port to see if your computer boots up without the gpu(I know there would be nothing wrong with the gpu but use this trick to see wheres your problem);)

Reactions: Sekcmexi
Apr 4, 2020
btw very thank for you responding so fast. I Appreciate. So I have the gpu out and the hdmi and still getting a black screen and monitor goes on power saver. I took out the battery also and put it back and still nothing. The power supply did some weird clicking noise that I’ve never heard and automatically shut the computer on and off several times. What do you think the worse case is? A lot of people who told me who had this problem said it was the psu and if it’s not that it’s the mobo. I already ordered another psu Just Incase and I mean I can order another mobo if the psu doesn’t work. Since I got it from amazon. So aggravating cause it’s only been a month! And my specs aren’t awful and the computer was running great

Apr 4, 2020
The only thing I got new was the cpu but I’m almost 100% sure it’s not that because even before that I had the problem. My gut is saying mobo and I hope not
btw very thank for you responding so fast. I Appreciate. So I have the gpu out and the hdmi and still getting a black screen and monitor goes on power saver. I took out the battery also and put it back and still nothing. The power supply did some weird clicking noise that I’ve never heard and automatically shut the computer on and off several times. What do you think the worse case is? A lot of people who told me who had this problem said it was the psu and if it’s not that it’s the mobo. I already ordered another psu Just Incase and I mean I can order another mobo if the psu doesn’t work. Since I got it from amazon. So aggravating cause it’s only been a month! And my specs aren’t awful and the computer was running great

Bassplate

Reputable
Okay well i DONT think its the motherboard itself...i mean i had a client once where the power-supply burned and the motherboard was still okay(Client is still using there motherboard at the veriest moment):ROFLMAO:
Well power-supplys can really be effective on the system because every components gets power from it...it can be the power supply defnetly:(
You can try to test the PSU on a other computer or a friends computer...if the problem remains it is defnetly the psu!!

Other things you can try is...
1=Only using one ram chip at the time.(RAM Chips are the most common problems for black sceens and for the system not to boot up just like your situation)
2=Try to get a other bios battery...i know it sounds stupid but mayby just mayby it could be that.
3=Try to clean your mother...Another stupid suggestion but dust bunnies can block the connection between the component and its interface...happend to me once.
4=Remove all your RAM chips and see if the the BUZZ Speaker makes beep...beep...beep...beep non stop.
NOTE(if you hear the buzz speaker beeping WHEN ALL THE RAM CHIPS IS OUT)thats a good sigh that its not your PSU but maybe your RAM
TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW:);)

Apr 4, 2020
I gave up and put it away lol but then I was like f it. I took out all the ram and just plugged the cpu mobo and gpu cords back into the psu and took out the ram like you said and no beeping at all. So it leads me to think it’s the psu,cpu or mobo ? Once again thank so much for the responses!

Bassplate

Reputable
I know Exactly the frustration :)
The reason for the speaker BUZZ(beeping) is to know if the bios could send out a system RAM warning....If still that doesn't help its your CPU...If you want you can try removing the CPU and everything on it except the Power and the BUZZ speaker and see if it gives any beeping Sound....(If still nothing happens take a hammer and punch the sht out of the PSU:ROFLMAO:

keep in mind when you face a problem like this...always listen to your BUZZ Speaker it directs you where the problem is from preventing to load Bios:)
Its my pleasure to help and sorry we couldn't have fixed the problem together but never stop trying:)

Apr 4, 2020
could it be the cpu? I’ve only touched the cpu chip once and that’s to place it in . I have changed the cpu cooler twice though if that helps. So if I take out the cooler and cpu chip out and hear a buzzing it’s my cpu?

Bassplate

Reputable
as far as i can trouble shoot with you it sounds like its coming from your CPU...Ether your CPU doesnt get the power it needs or it doesnt get power at all....You have to work on the BUZZ Speaker beeping.
Dont worry removing components wil not harm your computer in any way (JUST DONT REMOVE THE JUMPERS OR ANY OTHER BUILD IN INTERFACES)
If you can just get one Beep its a good sigh...The Bios cannot start without a CPU its like the brain of the hole system...But the BUZZ SPEAKER wil beep when there are no CPU or NO RAM or faulty RAM and So.
Like you have said---everything is brand new so nothing could be wrong with the components. :)

Reactions: Sekcmexi
Apr 4, 2020
lol silly question but is the buzz sound from the mobo or speakers. My guess mobo lol I just hate applying the thermal paste to the cpu lol since the new cpu cooler already came with it on

Apr 4, 2020
Ok so I gutted everything out but my WiFi adapter and my m2 storeage I have the mobo connector and cpu connected to the psu. Now when I turn it on the psu fan doesn’t spin at all and when I turn it off the psu fan spin for a second and stoops? So my guess it was my psu?

Apr 4, 2020
So I tried again with the cpu chip and without it and I get no sound or beep or nothing . The leds that indicate that the mobo has power by the gpu is on though. Not sure what else there is to do but to wait for the new psu

Bassplate

Reputable
Sorry for late replay bro i went for an early bed nap:)
Okay so basically what you are going to do is...
disconnect everything(GPU,,,RAM,,,HARDRIVES,,,CD ROMS,,,FANS,,,ALL THE STUF THAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE AT THE MOMENT)
The only things that needs to be connected is(CPU,,,CPU FAN...FRONTPANNEL CONNECTION(for power switch etc),,,POWER TO MOTHERBOARD,,,POWER TO CPU.)
Tro to reseat Your CPU real carefully again...check your power supply connection if there isnt faulty cables that maybe pulled out of it connection point(I do that all the time).
Check especially the cpu Power2 cable.
then try to reset your CMOS again(With the jumper method).Sometimes to reset it like this way is a complete Bios reset and maybe then there wil be something on your BUZZ SPEAKER.

How to clear CMOS?====
**well not all motherboards are the same.There wil be 2 or 3 pumper pins right next to the CMOS battery to reset bios.You are going to need a 2pin jumper to reset Bios by putting the jumper on the 2 or 3 pins..So important...When you put the jumper on the pins you are going to put the power cable into the power supply.

NOTE---====
Dont remove the jumper just yet....now you are going to power the pc up again....BUT THE COMPUTER IS NOT SURPOSE TO START...WHEN YOU PRESS THE POWER....THE COMPUTER MUST NOT POWER UP THE CPU FAN ARE NOT GOING TO START.If the computer doesnt start THEN YOU WIL KNOW THE BIOS RESET IS WORKING!!
IF it starts up It may be reset but wil not know 100% if it did.
Then leave the jumper in for maybe 3 minutes...then take out the jumper then power back up...you wil then hear the BUZZ SPEAKER GOING WILD(because of no RAM AND HARDRIVE etc.)
then you connect your ram back and connect your screen in the back of the mobo and see uif it boots up again.
IF IT BOOTS UP INTO BIOS then you know what to do. ;)
Then reconnect the componants carefully and You just configure your bios again if it all worked out!
Here is a link that you can use to help you as wel my fellow friend:)
https://www.lifewire.com/fix-computer-that-turns-on-but-displays-nothing-2624443
Hope i helped a little and i hope this works for you...If not bro im sorry then you wil need a new psu and motherboard maybe.:disrelieved:

Im an IT Tecnition here in South Africa and i have many experiences and i have worked with pc's for years now so you can trust me...Good Luck!

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 4, 2020
Well I got frustrated that nothing worked so amazon being the nice company they are let me return all of it. So now I have a new psu 850w new cpu i5 9600k and new mobo asus rog z390. I am going to laugh if I build this and it doesn’t work cause it’s my ram which I really don’t think it is because it’s super new and the rbg works but either way thank you so much for all those tips. I fed learned a lot more then I thought I would. Hope all is well and stay safe my friend. God bless