[SOLVED] Computer won’t let me boot through HDD

The True Prime

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Well let me put this as simply as I can, I just built a brand new computer all on my own with all the parts brand new.

Basically everything was going well until I ran into the problem of booting up the pc and going into windows. I kept seeing “Reboot and select proper boot device”.

I was toying around and trying to fix it but still I have the same issue. I have checked all the cables and everything was in. I checked in BIOS and the HDD is detected and is the 1st boot option. I removed all USB connections, still nothing, I removed the power cable and put it back in, still nothing. I’ve watched like 10 videos and can’t seem to find out what the issue is. Some say it may be a completely dead HDD but I can’t see how that would be the case since it’s brand new and that nothing even happened to it when I was handling it and putting it into my pc.

Solution
Hi there I apologise for the late reply, I haven't uploaded anything on to the drive itself.
And that is exactly why you're seeing:
“Reboot and select proper boot device”.

There is nothing to boot from.

Lutfij

Titan
Given that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, you're advised to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

You will also need to mention if the HDD you're working with is recycled or if any part was recycled from an older build. Next up, take a picture of all the connections you've made for the system and host said image on Imgur for us to see if you connected something in the wrong order/port.

The True Prime

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Given that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, you're advised to include your full system's specs. Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

You will also need to mention if the HDD you're working with is recycled or if any part was recycled from an older build. Next up, take a picture of all the connections you've made for the system and host said image on Imgur for us to see if you connected something in the wrong order/port.

Ok sure here are my specs -

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G Processor (4C/4T, 6 MB cache, 4.0 GHz Max Boost) with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 3200 Mhz
Only have HDD: Seagate Barracude 3.5 inch 2TB
GPU: GTX 970
PSU: Evga 600 W1 600W K3
Case: NZXT 510
Operating system: Windows 10 regular...

How would you like me to take a picture I do not understand.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Well let me put this as simply as I can, I just built a brand new computer all on my own with all the parts brand new.

Basically everything was going well until I ran into the problem of booting up the pc and going into windows. I kept seeing “Reboot and select proper boot device”.

I was toying around and trying to fix it but still I have the same issue. I have checked all the cables and everything was in. I checked in BIOS and the HDD is detected and is the 1st boot option. I removed all USB connections, still nothing, I removed the power cable and put it back in, still nothing. I’ve watched like 10 videos and can’t seem to find out what the issue is. Some say it may be a completely dead HDD but I can’t see how that would be the case since it’s brand new and that nothing even happened to it when I was handling it and putting it into my pc.
Considering that this is a relatively new PC, it is very much possible that the secure boot settings is missing or misconfigured in your BIOS. In any case if you can easily boot in UEFI mode using DVD device, or using a UEFI USB device, then that would mean that the BIOS is correctly configured to boot from UEFI and secure boot is configured correctly, then either the security keys are not correctly installed for HDD, or the device is not connected correctly.
To check for that try and see if you can boot the system using a linux live disk like Debian live and see if the hard disk is reporting healthy and if it is recognized there.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi there I apologise for the late reply, I haven't uploaded anything on to the drive itself.

Solution

The True Prime

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019
Considering that this is a relatively new PC, it is very much possible that the secure boot settings is missing or misconfigured in your BIOS. In any case if you can easily boot in UEFI mode using DVD device, or using a UEFI USB device, then that would mean that the BIOS is correctly configured to boot from UEFI and secure boot is configured correctly, then either the security keys are not correctly installed for HDD, or the device is not connected correctly.
To check for that try and see if you can boot the system using a linux live disk like Debian live and see if the hard disk is reporting healthy and if it is recognized there.

So what is this liniux live? Do i Download it onto a USB or something?

The True Prime

Commendable
Dec 8, 2019

Hey thanks, I thought this might of been an issue but I didn't wanna say anything because I didn't want to sound like I know what im talking about like that because I don't lol, I will definitely try.