Question Computer won't always POST ?

Winter_Wolf

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Lately my tower has trouble booting. It'll run just fine, but if I turn it off, turning it back on is a struggle.

Pressing the power button causes an audible click, which I believe is coming from the PSU, but the computer shows no other signs of life. (no fans or lights at all.)

I try to release flea power/static, and last time I was able to get it to boot by unplugging all external devices. This led me to think maybe it was a problem of insufficient power, so I upgraded the PSU, but the issue remains. Now I get nothing. The PSU light stays on but otherwise, nothing.

Troubleshooting tried so far:
  • Released flea power/static
  • Tried different wall outlets
  • Changed PSU 750W > 1000W
  • Tried to boot without GPU installed
  • Tried only one stick of RAM at a time, swapping them out
  • Reseated ALL cables
While it was on, I could not see any errors in Event Viewer, or any issues in Device Manager. When running, the computer is stable.

Any idea what the cause may be, and what I should try?

My (overkill) specs:
  • 10th gen. i9 (can't remember exact model)
  • Gigabyte z490 UD AC mobo
  • TUF-RTX3080-O10G-GGAMING GPU
  • 64GB Kingston DDR4 ram (4x16)
  • Various SSDs (NVMe + SATA)
  • EVGA 1000W PSU
  • Gamdias liquid cooler

Sep 13, 2022
last time I was able to get it to boot by unplugging all external devices.
Its sounding like the PSU isn't the culprit, it's just doing its job. Please list your old PSU brand name and model. List every external component that's plugged in and try to check if any of them have wiring issues that may cause it to short out the circuits. Usually if an external component shorts out it's the PSUs job to cut the power and shutdown. As you stated it works when you unplug your external components, is this a guaranteed fix? Or is it random.

Winter_Wolf

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Its sounding like the PSU isn't the culprit, it's just doing its job. Please list your old PSU brand name and model. List every external component that's plugged in and try to check if any of them have wiring issues that may cause it to short out the circuits. Usually if an external component shorts out it's the PSUs job to cut the power and shutdown. As you stated it works when you unplug your external components, is this a guaranteed fix? Or is it random.

This is just what worked last time. Now it won't boot regardless.

It's always run normally when on, though. It also used to boot normally. In the last month or so, however, this issue started. It would never crash and shutdown, and never showed any performance issues or errors.

It used to have a Gigabyte P750GM, and now it's an EVGA 1000 G5. I've just installed it, hoping it would boot with more power. So it's never actually been turned on with this PSU. At least this one has a light on the back confirming it has power.

Connected to the computer was a 3D printer (Ender 3), Mouse (LG), keyboard (Corsair), headset (Corsair), and Xbox controller dongles, 3 displays, usb storage devices, and usb hub.

Sep 13, 2022
Does your mobo have debug LEDs? If so is the CPU light on? I'm sure you did this but double check if the CPU is seated properly, this will cause the PC to not POST but the fans and any leds will still run normally.

Mariusglock

Reputable
Jun 13, 2020
It used to have a Gigabyte P750GM

Yikes, this PSU is known for frying peoples systems. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-full-refund-product-exchange-explosive-psus#:~:text=Gigabyte has already issued a,breach delayed its RMA plans.
Its a wild guess, but it could have damanaged any component, could by why your system strugles.

In any case, if its possible for you, would recommend getting an MOBO internal speaker, since your mobo doesnt have LED/audio debug , it costs like 1$, and this little cheap dingy helped me solve problems on systems. Quite an effective tool.

Last edited:

Winter_Wolf

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2015
Yikes, this PSU is known for frying peoples systems. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-full-refund-product-exchange-explosive-psus#:~:text=Gigabyte has already issued a,breach delayed its RMA plans.
Its a wild guess, but it could have damanaged any component, could by why your system strugles.

In any case, if its possible for you, would recommend getting an MOBO internal speaker, since your mobo doesnt have LED/audio debug , it costs like 1$, and this little cheap dingy helped me solve problems on systems. Quite an effective tool.

Shoot, Hopefully if that's the cause, I can RMA whatever it broke.

I opened a case with Gigabyte and they had me try some troubleshooting, but it really seems like the mobo is fried. They suggested doing an RMA. Hopefully it gets approved, and hopefully it's the only part damaged. :fingers crossed:

Also, thanks for the link. I'll see if I can send the PSU in for the recall.

TRENDING THREADS