Question Computer won't boot after power loss

FrozenTrout

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
So I need some help with a computer that will no longer boot up after a power loss.

Here's the components:

MOTHERBOARD
PSU
CPU
GRAPHICS CARD
HDD
SSD
RAM

It was working fine. Then there was a sudden power loss, and now the computer no longer boots up. It starts to turn on for a second and then dies, and repeats that cycle until you stop it. First thought is either the PSU or the motherboard broke.

Here's a video:

http://www.frozentrout.com/Vids/20200418_134528.mp4

There's a two-character debug LED display on the motherboard, but it isn't terribly helpful - one flashes on for a second, but I can't exactly tell what it is supposed to be (like a C with an additional line), and the second stays off, then the computer powers off and restarts the cycle. There's no match in the manual's Debug LED list. There is no beeping.

First, tried disconnecting all USB and other devices, and reseated all the power and data cables, as well as the RAM, which didn't make a difference.

Then, have tried:
  • HDD/SSD disconnected (both power and data cables)
  • Both, only one, then the other, and then neither, sticks of RAM plugged in
  • Video card disconnected
  • Only the motherboard connected
  • Reseating the CPU fan (even though it already was spinning up)
  • Resetting the CMOS
Nothing resulted in any change.

There's an older PSU (Aspire ATX-AS500W) to try, but it only has a 20Pin instead of a 24Pin connector. Tried anyway, and it didn't result in any difference.

I have to admit I've hit a wall here, so does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

If not, I'm guessing next step is probably getting a new PSU or motherboard, but I'm honestly not sure which is the best to try first (and with current prices, it's not going to be cheap either way), so any thoughts (and suggestions for replacements with a good price) would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

FrozenTrout

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
is it connected to a surge protector? the strip or even a single outlet could have also been damaged.

i would try to find someone with a functioning compatible PSU and try theirs. if still no good; is more than likely the motherboard.
I should have mentioned, it IS attached to a surge protector. However, swapping plugs doesn't fix it, neither does plugging directly into the wall.