[SOLVED] Computer won't boot after replacing my 3070 with an old 670 ?

Apr 25, 2021
'Computer wont boot after replacing my 3070 with an old 670'

All the fans spin including the graphics card which I am currently using in my old computer to write this post, so I know the card is fine, and I know the other components are fine as I was using it yesterday.

Is this a compatibility issue? I figured I'd be fine just plopping my old 670 in to replace the card I sold yesterday. Sure it's older but they run on the same drivers, no? I thought so anyway. If it is a driver issue, how do I go about removing my drivers when I can't boot?

What happens is that the fans spin, but the only image I get on screen is an underscore in the top left corner, then the computer restarts after about one second. After the first restart there is no image whatsoever on screen, and it just keeps restarting over and over until I hold the power button to turn it off.

I tried starting without a GPU as well, connecting HDMI to the motherboard input, since my CPU supposedly has integrated graphics, and when I do that, it doesn't restart, but there is no image. It does seem to boot though.

Motherboard - MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi
CPU - i5-10600k
RAM - HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 2666MHz 16GB
PSU - Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W
GPU - Gainward GTX 670
OS - Windows 10

Let me know if there's any info I left out or if you have any questions. Appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited:
Solution
Remove your gpu and plug in your hdmi/ dp cable from your monitor into the onboard graphics on your pc. Start it up then download DDU to remove old graphics drivers.
Then reinsert your gpu and hook it up and see if this works.
You might need to go into the bios and change some settings as your 670 may be legacy. I'm not too familiar with this so someone else will have to help

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Ofc they won't run the same drivers lol. They're two completely different architecture. It's like trying to run a ferrari engine into a ford fiesta and going "uhm, i wonder why this doesn't work" lol. Only thing you can do is to format the drive where the drivers were installed of the computer in question.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
normally it just works in my experience. You boot into windows and fix the fix the drivers (windows will load a genic drive).

Sure you got it seated and plugged up? sure the old card is good?

If its not working on intergrated (unless you disabled them) sounds like you created another issue.

sgnz

Commendable
Apr 19, 2019
Remove your gpu and plug in your hdmi/ dp cable from your monitor into the onboard graphics on your pc. Start it up then download DDU to remove old graphics drivers.
Then reinsert your gpu and hook it up and see if this works.
You might need to go into the bios and change some settings as your 670 may be legacy. I'm not too familiar with this so someone else will have to help

Solution