[SOLVED] Computer won't boot after switching cases & adding HDD/SSD ?

May 31, 2021
Hi there!
My husband and I switched my system over to a new case and since then my computer hasn't wanted to fully boot if we plug in an additional HDD/SSD.
I have a 256GB SSD that's mostly just for booting. If that and that alone is plugged in the computer powers up and operates fine.
However I had a 2TB HDD and when I plug that in the computer powers on for a split second and then turns back off. There is no audible noise - no popping or anything - but it won't turn on.

The same HDD when plugged into my husband's system works just fine.

We also tried plugging in a 500GB SSD instead and the same thing happens. However, again, the same SSD will boot up with my husband's PC.

Previous to switching to the new case (and I'm not insinuating it's the case) my computer housed the 256GB SSD & 2TB HDD just fine. It turned on. Operated. No problems.

My husband thinks it's the power supply and my power supply isn't exactly new, but I find it to be odd that it will power on with everything else except that last piece of the puzzle. Not to mention if it isn't my power supply and we unplug and replug everything and find that out I may die 🤣

Things we have tried:
Two different SATA cables
Two different power cables into the power supply
Plugging it into a different SATA port
Obviously trying it on my husband's computer
Reformatting the SSD

Any ideas would be helpful. You can find my current build here:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/canopy/saved/wBGMVn

Solution
Your PSU is modular.
Are you using power cables that came with your PSU or might you being using other ones?
Modular cables are not universal so your PSU may actually be saving you from damaging those drives because it has detected a short circuit.
A simple test would be to plug one of those drives into the cables feeding the 256GB SSD and seeing if it now powers up. (leave the 256 disconnected). You should be able to feel the 2TB drive spinning too.

popatim

Titan
Your PSU is modular.
Are you using power cables that came with your PSU or might you being using other ones?
Modular cables are not universal so your PSU may actually be saving you from damaging those drives because it has detected a short circuit.
A simple test would be to plug one of those drives into the cables feeding the 256GB SSD and seeing if it now powers up. (leave the 256 disconnected). You should be able to feel the 2TB drive spinning too.

Solution
May 31, 2021
Your PSU is modular.
I actually did try this last night from a recommendation from a friend and it worked! (I actually plugged in the 500GB SSD to the 256GB SSD's cord but left the 256GB SSD plugged in - I hope that's not a bad thing eek). However, we were using cables specific to my PSU so I'm not sure why a short would be an issue... unless the cable is bad, of course.

I plugged in both yesterday by the same cable and plugged them both in to the SATA ports and the computer started up with no problem and I was able to access both of them. However, when I did this the computer started beeping. This was the error code we think it was trying to give us :
7 Beeps: Virtual mode exception error Explanation: Virtual mode is one of the different modes that the processor can run in. The system is reporting an error when testing this mode. Diagnosis: There is a problem related to the processor or motherboard. Note that this doesn't mean that the processor is necessarily dead, since the system won't boot at all with a dead processor.

Do you think that's because I had them both plugged into the same cord?

ETA: Also thank you for your reply!

popatim

Titan
The same power cord - no. Power cords are basically parallel circuits back to the PSU.

The 7 beeps is odd. I'm not sure what the beep codes are for MSI's ClickBios. You may have to contact them; my googling didn't reveal much insight to them.