[SOLVED] Computer won't boot even to post/bios

Artoxx

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Sons computer Posted under 2 headings since I have no clue where it actually belongs. Sorry if this is naughty.

TO CLARIFY: Won't even boot into post/bios.

Okay, Intel i7-8700 3.2 CPU

GSkill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3299 8GBx4

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 MB

Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 VGA

System has been running fine for about 8 months using only 2 mem dimms. (16gb) Added 2 additional, IDENTICAL dimms last weekend(32 total), and suddenly system will not boot at all.

Board lights up when power is on, but will not boot. Replaced PS with spare, still won't boot. BUT, hooked PSU up while it was outside the chassis, and board ATTEMPTED to boot, multiple restart attempts until powered down.

Spin starts, but won't stay on, repeats attempt to boot until powered off.

Ended up breaking a pin off of the MB 3.0 USB cable to front connectors while plugging and unplugging. Ended up buying BRAND NEW IDENTICAL MB. Unopened box. Figured maybe the problem was in the MB. Nope.

Installed new MB in old chassis, with NO JOY. PSU would not even attempt to boot MB, BUT lights on board still light up when PSU is on.

Moved entire system to new chassis, figuring it was a short somewhere n the front panel wiring I couldn't find.

ATTEMTS to boot, but still not succeeding. Only thing that has changed is the chassis. Bought BRAND NEW PSU, Installed last night. NO CHANGE.

This morning placed all memory dimms in my own system and it signaled NO MEMORY FOUND. So wild guess is that whatever the issue is blew all 4 dimms? IDK

Placed ONE of my dimms out of my system in other system, still wouldn't fire.

No dimms installed behaves exactly the same as with original dimms, and experimental dimms.

IS THIS A CPU ISSUE AFTER ALL THIS? Or did I buy a bad MB to replace a bad MB? Stranger things have happened.

Tried resetting CMOS both with the button and by removing battery. No change.

No peripherals attached, won't boot.

ALL peripherals attached, won't boot, monitor only, won't boot.

Monitor plugged into ONBOARD video HDMI connector with Zotac removed. Won't boot.

Kid is losing his mind, he doesn't handle problems well.

Any ideas?

PSU Replaced

MB replaced

Memory, replaced(test)

Chassis replaced

I am out of ideas here. PLEASE HELP! Don't have another $1000 or whatever to replace what hasn't been replaced, so might be doomed.

Solution
What do the tiny Status LED's, at the bottom of your motherboard, show when you boot?

CPU/VGA/DRAM/BOOT (Status LEDs)

The status LEDs show whether the CPU, graphics card, memory, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.

CPU: CPU status LED
VGA: Graphics card status LED
DRAM: Memory status LED
BOOT: Operating system status LED
What do the tiny Status LED's, at the bottom of your motherboard, show when you boot?

CPU/VGA/DRAM/BOOT (Status LEDs)

The status LEDs show whether the CPU, graphics card, memory, and operating system are working properly after system power-on. If the CPU/VGA/DRAM LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally; if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet.

CPU: CPU status LED
VGA: Graphics card status LED
DRAM: Memory status LED
BOOT: Operating system status LED

Solution