Computer won't boot once CPU cooler is installed.

abjones2424

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
Hey guys,

I've seen some similar questions but nothing has solved this issue yet. I decided to upgrade my ~4 year old prebuilt so I ordered a new MOBO, RAM, CPU, and GPU. Now, I currently only have the MOBO, CPU, and RAM installed and everything works just fine and it boots to the new mobo setup screen. Whenever I connect the CPU cooler, the computer fails to start and the only signs of life are the power LED on the mobo.

Everything seems to be connected just fine up until the cpu cooler is mounted, then nothing works. Also keep in mind that the GPU is not connected.

The only thing I can think of is that the CPU cooler is dislodging the CPU somehow but I have no clue how that could even happen and am exceedingly doubtful of that.

Specs:
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z270-A
CPU: i5 7600k
RAM: 2x8gb GSkill DDR4
GPU: NVidia GTX 1050TI

abjones2424

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

Yes I was starting without a cooler, only for <10 seconds and powering down. When I was installing it with thermal paste, I was doing even pressure, screwing in opposite corners and all other basic procedure.

abjones2424

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

It shouldn't be, I'll try one more full uninstall and re-install and ensure that everything from the cooler is seated properly and not over-tightened.

abjones2424

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
It seems re-seating the CPU Cooler and simply ensuring it was as dead-center as possible along with not applying too much thermal paste seems to have fixed the issue. Also, ensuring it was tightened, but not to the point of being over tightened.

TRENDING THREADS