Computer won't boot up. power supply issue?

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
I shut my computer down earlier this week and it won't boot up. I push the button and nothing happens. No fans or anything. The only thing that comes on is the green light next to the plug in the back. And the funny thing is when I unplug it, the light stays on for up to 30seconds. And it was blinking at one point. I've tried the voltage switch, cleaning out the dust, changing the battery, checking the wires, had my harddrive tested, changed power cords and still nothing. I was told that if it was a motherboard issue, I would hear a beep code. And I never heard any beeps. At all. Does it sound like power supply issue? Also, a few weeks ago, it shut down randomly and kept doing so immediately after I'd push the power button. It finally stayed on after a few tries. I do believe it's related. By the way, I have an HP pavilion slimline s7700n.

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thanks. My gut tells me it's the PSU. I just want to be sure before I buy.

When you buy a new PSU, make sure it is a good reliable brand. Corsair, Seasonic, Antec. Newegg frequently has good sales. Make sure that the PSU will fit inside the slimline case (Form factor).

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

I will definitely shop carefully.

S/N: I Just took a look inside a the connecter on the PS (the one with 24 pins) and one of the pins inside is missing. I'm assuming that would cause a problem?

No. That is a blank; fifth one from the end; don't know the pin number (closer to the center).

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012
When I plug the ethernet cable from my internet modem, it acts normally, as if it's being powered. Same with the monitor, it recieves power but says there's no signal. This is so confusing.

Were you able to use the trouble-shooting guide that I posted above? That will definitely help!

If you have a good power supply installed, check all the connectors and ensure that they are well seated. The 24-pins connector is a little hard to plug in and get seated. The latch must engage.

Then power ON. If you do not get a POST beep, then the motherboard is the issue.

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

I tried some of them already but I'll take another look. I put the computer back together and plugged everything back in and now the green light in the back is blinking.

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

The green light next to the PS. And I didn't get a beep, I still have the old PS in, which I suspect is bad.

This blinking yellow light means that there is an external hard disk plugged into one of the USB ports. Some computers will not boot if there is an external HDD plugged into any of the USB ports. Two of my Dell desktops act this way. My other home built i7 computer has no problems booting even if there is an external USB HDD plugged in.

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Thing is, I don't have anything plugged in The USB ports right now lol. This is so odd.

I really appreciate your helping me, btw.

The reason I mentioned that is because sometimes I forget that the external HDD is plugged in and I try to power up and start the computer. Nothing happens. After my initial panic subsides, I unplug the ext. HDD and then all is fine and the computer starts without a hitch.

thepoetlucy

Honorable
Apr 28, 2012

Bought a new PSU today (luckily a local computer repair shop had one slimline model available for a woman who changed her mind at the last minute) and my computer is working beautifully now. Posting this from it. :bounce:

Thank you SO much for your help.

TRENDING THREADS