Computer won't boot up unless I switch my RAM slot (Everytime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent Tsoi

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
When I was using my computer, windows 10 showed me a blue screen and proceeded to restart. Then, I see no signal on my display that I have to reset the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery. Things did not work out until I tried to switch the RAM slot and my computer successfully boot up. However, the exact same thing occurs everytime I turn my computer off and on that I have to switch the RAM slot every single time when I want to boot up. I am not sure whether I am having a faulty RAM or it is the slot issue on my motherboard. I also tried to update BIOS and all the possible solution I could do, software-wise.Things were running perfectly well during the last few months until my pc gave me the blue screen and restart. Anyone knows what exactly is going on, or how to diagnose which piece of hardware is faulty?
Motherboard : Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM : Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3-1600
CPU : intel i5-4690K

It looks like you have 4 RAM slots, and 2 sticks of RAM.

When you say "Switch your RAM" does that mean that both sticks of RAM are removed and placed in different slots? Did you install the RAM as specified in the motherboard manual? Have you tried running with only a single stick of RAM to isolate the issue to a single stick of RAM if that is the culprit?

Vincent Tsoi

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Yes, that means I removed them and placed them on different slot. I did not read the manual however I am pretty sure I inserted them correctly since they were working fine during the past few months. I did isolate both the sticks on different slot, different combinations as well as putting a single stick at the time. But I cannot figure out the problem because the chance of my computer booting up has nothing to do with the combination/amount of my RAM stick, which is to say it is random. Somehow, I tried to put them back on the original slot (it was 2nd and 4th slot before the problem occured) and things went back to normal. However, anyway to know which one is faulty?

Vincent Tsoi

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

I've tried several times to remove the RAM sticks and place them back into the original slots. Somehow they worked fine and I haven't seen any problem booting up so far. As I mentioned on the thread, the 2 RAM sticks have been placed in the 2nd and 4th slots according to the manual. I think it might be the blue screen that caused issues to the software.Before that, nothing happened until the windows 10 gave me the blue screen. What I did to my computer is that I updated the BIOS, removed the MB battery.

Panwellz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Panwellz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Did you manage to fix it? I have the exact same hardware except a Gigabyte Z97X gaming-3 motherboard. And my computer can't enter bios and is stuck in some kind of loop trying to boot unless i switch the RAM slots which makes it boot 1-3 times before getting the same issue back.

Vincent Tsoi

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Yes, it was being fixed after I reinstall windows 10. What makes it you can't boot the computer? Was it after a bluescreen? Or it just simply happens for no reason?

Vincent Tsoi

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

that's exactly what happened to my PC. What you can do is to remove the CMOS battery inside your motherboard, unplug the psu, let it sit for 20 minutes and reinsert it. If that's something you've tried and didn't work, try to reinstall windows. Just make sure you have backup available before you do that.

Panwellz

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

I tried unplugging the psu and CMOS but i noticed no difference, the problem could be related to overclocking the CPU since i did that the day before it wouldn't start. But all the temperatures were stable in a stress test i ran after overclocking it to 4Ghz that day, so seems odd if that's what caused the pc to not boot properly now.

Jul 8, 2021

Yes, it was being fixed after I reinstall windows 10. What makes it you can't boot the computer? Was it after a bluescreen? Or it just simply happens for no reason?

hi i also faced a similar problem and i solved it by your method and that works!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.