Computer Won't boot when connected via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hi All,

So it's a s simple as this, I have an R9 290x and my computer will boot fine when using a DVI cable. Interestingly though, if I use a HDMI cable alone and try to boot my computer my NZXT Phantom Full Sized case just shows a flashing blue light on top there is absolutely nothing displayed on the screen and it doesn't even get to the post screen. I know this because if I tap the power button it 'instantly' shuts down doesn't even take a second. Pop the HDMI out plug the DVI Monitor in and works absolutely fine, I can (once logged in on windows) connect my tv via HDMI and then disable the monitor and all is well.

So why does the computer refuse to boot if connected via HDMI (it has nothing to do with the TV or HDMI, as I previously stated the TV works fine if I connect after I've booted in to windows)

I was thinking maybe the BIOS can't output a HD Resolution or.. I don't know but it doesn't like something.

Any ideas?

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

Hi mate, it doesn't boot because it takes a fraction of a second to turn off, that just wouldn't be possible even if I tried to turn it off from the Windows splash screen it would take a good few seconds. Also when I first turn my computer on the blue light flashes (almost like a POST check) and then it stops blinking and I'll see the first screen. While on HDMI it stays flashing which to me seems like it's doing a check and failing on something. but I'm just not sure why.

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

Hi mate,

I'll take a look in to the BIOS to see if I can see anything, I mean it has to be something to do with the BIOS surely I just wasn't sure what or why as there's no error messages.

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

Hi mate,

I did do that but unfortunately it doesn't work, I did read somewhere else that someone recommended doing the opposite and turning the source to something else first. Very strange this problem because I've seen posts made about this problem from 2009 but I haven't come across a definite reason and solution to prevent it.

But BIOS tweaking may be the solution.. I'll just have to see.

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

Hi Ravi,

I haven't updated the BIOS I'll have a look to see if this problem is listed in any of the updates. Thanks for the input.

mrsweet1991

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

Hi Presler,

Interesting input.. when the TV isn't being used I will try the above solutions and then try yours.

Many Thanks

Insirion

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Hey, just made an account for this.
Same thing here. When I have my 1920 x 1080 monitor connected with a DVI cabel it boots perfectly fine.
When I connect my Samsung 4k TV with a HDMI it wont boot. and if i pres the power button it's instantly off.

I have a GTX970 so im happy you have an AMD so the change gets smaller it's out GPU's

I use a MSI Z87-G45 GAMING (MS-7821) with i5 4670K. I also need to update my Motherboard.

Do you have a solution by now?

conundrum_7

Distinguished
May 21, 2007
Saw this bug twice, first time on a dv6000 with Intel chipset and the second on a T*ugh*ook.
If you short the power pin to ground on HDMI (really easy to do) the machine will crash and then not restart.
I think its a failsafe feature to protect the board, but its a weird fault if you haven't seen it before.

Also worth mentioning, on some graphics cards if you feed gibberish up the EDID inputs ie connect something that is not a TV or monitor it completely goes Strange Loop and can actually corrupt the Flash BIOS in the card, don't ask how I found that out!!!!!!!!

superswade-1281606

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I've got a similar issue. The PC is an older one and the video card only has DVI output. I have a video cable that converts DVI to HDMI. I recently upgraded the monitor to a larger one (Both the old and new monitors are HDMI input (No DVI on either one). The PC won't boot when hooked up to the new, larger monitor... Was a pain to figure this out and it did work for a while on the larger monitor but then stopped working. Once I switched back to the smaller monitor started working again... Anyone hear of a situation like this before? With the larger monitor the PC won't even POST at all now...

The smaller monitor is:
I-INC iH252

The larger one is:
ASUS vn289

The video card:
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

Thanks for any info!

Feb 18, 2021
Same problem here. Brand new Gaming PC, BIOS and drivers all up-to-date.

HDMI connected to TV - PC will not boot. Pauses during boot process, no POST beeping, nothing. Power button immediately cuts power, no shutting down.

HDMI connected to monitor - boots as normal. Switch at that point to connecting to TV, everything is fine.

HDMI left unconnected, wait to hear the fans pick up a little as Windows boots, then plug into the TV, everything is fine.

Weirdly restarting the PC, sleep-mode and restore, and even a very quick shut down/power off and on WILL work as well.

I have absolutely no clue how to fix this, or what could be causing it. Closest I can think is that the PC is sending a "wake-up" signal and is stuck waiting for the response?

Has anyone found anything that might help with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.