Computer won't boot with 4 RAM sticks in after 1.5 years

Jul 30, 2018
So my computer stopped being able to boot to windows, MOBO was posting a DRAM problem. I removed two sticks, it booted and played games on it just fine for about 2 weeks before RMAed sticks came in. Popped those in, was able to play for about a week, hard crash, PC wouldn't boot to windows but MOBO posts DRAM issue. Pull the same sticks out i just put in a week ago, PC is booted up again and playing games. I've them set with XMP at 3000 which is what their rated speed is for about a year and half now, now having this problem.

Is the MOBO failing? Did one set of sticks go bad and got another bad set (find this unlikely)? any thoughts?

"Is the MOBO failing? Did one set of sticks go bad and got another bad set (find this unlikely)?"

It sure seems like "either/or".

but I would think the MB more likely.

....but what I would do is check those slots and maybe blow some air in there....it might just be debris.

I might also take some contact cleaner and clean the contacts.

Jul 30, 2018

hm, maybe something got into one of slots? does not booting/hard crashes sound symptomatic of this? because this actually didnt happen the first time until about a week after i installed a new AIO liquid cooling and i had to pull the RAM out to do this... i still have 16 GB RAM installed so not hard up for RAM without the two sticks in there...

" does not booting/hard crashes sound symptomatic of this?"
yes

I'm not saying it's the most likely....but I've had it happen.

I've even had it happen with oil in the air that gets on the contacts and then dirt sticks to the oil, but I work in a very "oily air" environment.

Jul 30, 2018

So i didnt clean anything and with the two sticks remaining in, the computer crashed again today and MOBO posted DRAM light again. I swapped the new sticks i received into the other slots and pulled out the older ones in there, and it booted again. So i am very confused to say the least... but we'll see what happens with the two new sticks in and nothing in the slots where there was RAM. Memtest came back with nothing wrong... Is it possible for bad RAM to work for after removing other sticks? even if it is just temporary...

It sounds like you have a pretty typical confusing situation where things don't seem to make sense. ;)

I think at this point, it makes sense to run for a while and see what happens.

With all the seemingly conflicting information I don't think we can make any conclusions.

Jul 30, 2018

Yea, if it happens again, ill try disabling XMP though it worked to this point for 1.5 years... still happens maybe update the BIOS, after that, may be time for a new MOBO