[SOLVED] Computer wont boot with my friends old gpu.

Jun 9, 2020
Okay so long story short, my gpu cant play more than one or two games of any game before it crashes into a striped screen.

I told my friends and, one of my them gave me his old 770 for me to use until I build my new pc in two months time.

The issue is that when I "install" it into my system the gpu lights and the rest of the computer turn on for a few milliseconds before turning off, and when I try pressing the start button again it doesn't do anything.

Please help, would hate to just sit and watch youtube for two months straight!!

Specs:

CPU: Amd ryzen 2400g 3.60 GHz

Motherboard: a320m pro-vd plus msi

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengeance 3200MHz

SSD/HDD: WD 1TB hard drive 7200rmp 3,5

GPU: Asus Radeon r9 280x 3gb

PSU: dont actually know this :( I know that it is 500W. Its thermaltake, thats all I know cant really see when looking into the pc case.

Solution
It's imperative that you find the model of the Thermaltake PSU and it's age. You will need at least 600W of power from a reliably built PSU for the entire system, while having a GTX770 in there. You also need to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to dropping in the Nvidia GPU, then install the latest drivers manually after sourcing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site.

Lutfij

Titan
It's imperative that you find the model of the Thermaltake PSU and it's age. You will need at least 600W of power from a reliably built PSU for the entire system, while having a GTX770 in there. You also need to use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to dropping in the Nvidia GPU, then install the latest drivers manually after sourcing the latest driver from Nvidia's support site.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Jun 9, 2020
Ok guess I'll just wait and slowly die inside. Thanks for the help anyways.

Jun 9, 2020
You were wrong, it wasn't the power supply. It was my friends gpu that had somehow died after he left it in his old case, I found out because I bought a 550W coorsair tx550m even with that power supply in the system it will still flicker on for a short instance and then stop working when I press the power on button afterwards. I'm pretty sure its the power supply's way of saying that the gpu is faulty, thanks for the help anyways!

You don't really need a full new computer with your Ryzen CPU, should be fine with just a video card swap. I recently replaced a 290x in one of my systems due to odd screen issues, swapped it for a used 1060 6gb which is right about the same speed or a bit faster. If you get a 1660 super for your system, you will have a great system for high quality 1080 gaming and even 1440 at lower settings. Can just keep the rest of the parts along with the new power supply you bought.

Jun 9, 2020
You don't really need a full new computer with your Ryzen CPU, should be fine with just a video card swap. I recently replaced a 290x in one of my systems due to odd screen issues, swapped it for a used 1060 6gb which is right about the same speed or a bit faster. If you get a 1660 super for your system, you will have a great system for high quality 1080 gaming and even 1440 at lower settings. Can just keep the rest of the parts along with the new power supply you bought.
Thank you the response and the recommendations but I've got to say that I am buying a new computer in two months, and the main components im centering the build around is a 3070 and either an i7 or an i9 maybe an amd? Im giving my old system to my little brother and he is actually planning on buying a 1660 super!

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
That replacement power supply you bought likely has the same problem as the one you replaced. It is too small for a modern video card. The bare minimum for a 2060 is 500w and for a 2080 650W. at 550W, you don't leave yourself much room for error. Don't get me wrong, the tx-550 is a great power supply that can deliver stable voltage at 100% load, but you better make sure your system total wattage is less than 550W, because it wont do more.

Okay so long story short, my gpu cant play more than one or two games of any game before it crashes into a striped screen.

I told my friends and, one of my them gave me his old 770 for me to use until I build my new pc in two months time.

The issue is that when I "install" it into my system the gpu lights and the rest of the computer turn on for a few milliseconds before turning off, and when I try pressing the start button again it doesn't do anything.

Please help, would hate to just sit and watch youtube for two months straight!!

Specs:

CPU: Amd ryzen 2400g 3.60 GHz

Motherboard: a320m pro-vd plus msi

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengeance 3200MHz

SSD/HDD: WD 1TB hard drive 7200rmp 3,5

GPU: Asus Radeon r9 280x 3gb

PSU: dont actually know this :( I know that it is 500W. Its thermaltake, thats all I know cant really see when looking into the pc case.

Well, the simple thing to test is whether or not the GTX 770 actually works. That would be my first step. Pop it into another computer and see what happens. It's probably nothing more than a DOA video card.