Question Computer won't boot with SATA HDD/SSD plugged in

Jan 23, 2020
I'm putting together a media server out of old parts and have run into a problem. The PC won't boot when I have a SATA HDD plugged in. It's an older ASUS Rampage III Formula MB that's been sitting in storage for about two years.

Hardware used:
  • brand new 450W Corsair PSU
  • old ASUS Rampage III Formula
  • old i7 970 CPU
  • old GTX 760 GPU
  • old Corsair RAM
Things I've tried/eliminated:
  • I've tried all the SATA ports on the motherboard, they all stop the PC booting.
  • I've tried multiple SATA cables.
  • I've tried booting with only the power connected to the drive: computer starts up fine.
  • I've tried booting with only SATA connected: computer boots fine.
  • Power plus SATA to the drive stops the PC booting.
  • I've tried multiple drives, both HDD and SSD
  • I tested those drives in a dock and they work fine, except the SSD which did work fine previously and now seems to have been fried, the HDD still work and show up in the dock.
  • I've tested the RAM
  • I installed a PCIe SATA card thinking that maybe the MB SATA was faulty but same issue.
  • I tried multiple GPU as well as without a GPU
  • I unplugged everything non-critical to the MB like fans, USB, network etc
  • I'm not hot-swapping drives.
After some googling I found mention of +5 and +12 TVS Diodes going bad which sounds like it might be the issue.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the MB is faulty but any thoughts would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

jimmysmitty

Champion
A quick note, no GPU would not POST either way as that board and CPU do not have a dedicated GPU. It is part of the HEDT lineup and Intels HEDT systems never had a iGPU.

As to your issue you have done pretty much everything I would recommend to try and if after all that it still fails to POST I would agree that the motherboard would be the culprit.

The only other thing I would suggest is to set it up in a test bed outside of the case if you have not already done so so eliminate the case causing some sort of short along the SATA channel.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS