Question computer wont boot with two sticks of ram

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I just bought a new mobo, cpu and ram to replace my old stuff and kept everything else. At first it wasn't posting at all, I just kept getting the dram and cpu ez debug lights alternating flashing at me. I got it to boot and post to windows by taking out the ram and only putting one stick in the 3rd slot (dimmb1). I enabled xmp in bios, put both sticks in to dual channel and now it's going back to the alternating lights. It boots just fine with either stick, just not both at the same time. so basically: one ram stick, computer happy. two ram stick, computer mad. how come computer mad?

cpu: i5 9600k
mobo: msi mpg z390
ram: ballistix 2400 (2x8gig)

Feb 20, 2019
Do you have dual-channel memory disabled in the bios? Or maybe some of the pins in the first slot are bent, so try using a non-dual channel configuration (don't use the first slot) and see if that fixes it.

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
I don't see an option for dual-channel in the bios so I would imagine it's not disabled? I've also tried every combination of 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, etc that there is with the two sticks and can't get it to post with both. only one

Feb 20, 2019
Maybe the two sticks of ram are different speeds and have been packed into the same package accidentally. I don't know if that would effect it or not though.

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
So more information. If I put the two sticks in the same channel, I get the vga ez debug light and the computer goes to a screen that says MEMORY OR CPU HAS BEEN CHANGED, press f1 to change settings, or f2 to continue on. hitting either of those does nothing despite my computer having usb support during it. If I try and dual channel in either combination, that's when I get the alternating drimm, and cpu lights on the mobo and no post.

I also checked the clock speed of the ram each time the computer posted and they seem to be the same speed, and type.

Feb 20, 2019
The ram controller on your cpu could be buggy, or could require a driver update. Maybe go into windows with one stick of ram installed and see if there are any relevant drivers that need to be updated or installed.

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
more information, I feel like I'm getting closer: I updated bios to 7B51v14, was able to move the ram sticks to slots 2 and 4, (dimma2, dimmb2) and get it to boot and post. But when I run any report, dxdiag, cpuid, etc, it all says I only have 8 gig of ram (it still thinks I only have one stick installed)

edit: bios keeps de-enabling xmp I think? I restarted my computer after successfully booting it with two sticks after updating bios, went into bios, re-enabled xmp and computer still thinks I only have one stick. I'm 99% sure dead ram slots, and am going to sleep. hopefully someone offers me a magical answer that doesn't involve a 2 week rma process. fingers crossed

Feb 20, 2019
Again, this could be an issue with the ram controller on your cpu, also, maybe the type of ram could possibly not be fully supported by your motherboard or cpu.

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Buying new ram and ill give that a shot. Really didnt want to buy piece by piece again to diagnose what it is and send back everything else hut thats whats happening i guess.

Mar 8, 2019
I've been having similar problem, won't post or boot with anything in either B slot but each stick works in both of the A slots...regardless, I noticed you haven't mentioned the system settings in Windows. Perhaps, something I've run across that may help you. In control panel you can manage your available memory. For some reason Windows will take half of your memory and "hide" it in virtual memory. It does it without asking or notifying you and makes it seem like it isn't even installed. It will only show the memory available of 1 and other apps see it that way and only display what hasn't been hidden in virtual. It may be something that helps, if not...hopefully the new set you get runs smoothly. I've been banging my head against the wall for a month! Good luck

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Time for an update. I bought new ram; same problem. I really don't wanna return both the cpu and motherboard and get new ones if only one of the parts is causing the issue. I guess technically it couldn't be a hardware problem at all but a driver issue, or something else software related.

coreyobrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Just wanted to let everyone know I found a solution: bent pins on the cpu socket.

I looked 3 times when I took it all apart and put it back together, and only noticed it the last time. Got a new mobo sent to me and it all booted up without an issue, even with the original ram I bought that wasn't on the mobo's list.