Question Computer Won't Boot with W10 SSD Clone

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I just built a second identical system: Asus Z390-E, i7-9700K, 32GB Corsair DDR4, etc.
In the past, I made two identical W7 systems, cloned the drive of the first, and installed it on the second, then replaced the product key with a new, valid key.

I now tried that same procedure with my second Z390 system, and can't get past the BIOS.
I know the second Z390 system works; it runs fine from an Ubuntu optical disk.

Does W10 now imprint the SSD with serial numbers of the motherboard and/or CPU?
Is there any way to avoid starting all over with a W10 build on this second Z390?

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
I just built a second identical system: Asus Z390-E, i7-9700K, 32GB Corsair DDR4, etc.
In the past, I made two identical W7 systems, cloned the drive of the first, and installed it on the second, then replaced the product key with a new, valid key.

I now tried that same procedure with my second Z390 system, and can't get past the BIOS.
I know the second Z390 system works; it runs fine from an Ubuntu optical disk.

Does W10 now imprint the SSD with serial numbers of the motherboard and/or CPU?
Is there any way to avoid starting all over with a W10 build on this second Z390?
Windows 10 does not get any system numbers further that the models, and it adapts to work with other systems at the fist boot on the new system, so that is a bios problem, nothing to do with windows. Is the SSD getting detected on the bios?

USAFRet

Titan
Windows 10 does not get any system numbers further that the models, and it adapts to work with other systems at the fist boot on the new system, so that is a bios problem, nothing to do with windows. Is the SSD getting detected on the bios?
That is not entirely true. Windows often has issues with trying to boot up in a completely different system.

But this should not be an issue between two identical systems.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
That is not entirely true. Windows often has issues with trying to boot up in a completely different system.

But this should not be an issue between two identical systems.
Well I tried the same SSD with windows on 3 different platforms and worked correctly on both 3, one was an i5 4200 laptop, other a x5677 xeon and on a I7 8700 and after 10 secs of automatic config was working perfectly and the games were running with no issues on both 3

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
Well I tried the same SSD with windows on 3 different platforms and worked correctly on both 3, one was an i5 4200 laptop, other a x5677 xeon and on a I7 8700 and after 10 secs of automatic config was working perfectly and the games were running with no issues on both 3
I have to add that was last month, maybe older versions could give problems, but I haven't had any problems with it.

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen it work, I've seen it fail.
Win 10 is better than previous versions. But by no means a 100% success rate.

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
True Confession Time

I made another clone of the first computer. Before I put it in the new one, it occurred to me to check the SATA connection to the drive in the new computer. The connectors were in but one was a tad loose.
Problem solved. Both clones work well in the new computer.
Thanks guys.