ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
My Build includes:
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC
Motherboard: Z170 Pro Gaming
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850B2

My issue is my computer will not boot until I unplug, and then plug in again, the 24 pin connector. The issue started after doing some cable management, and then after the first boot it would happen. The only suggestion I have had is that it may be a short in the wire, but my computer will work fine as long as its on and even under load, but if it is off for more than a few minutes (If I turn it off for just for a few minutes then it will boot fine) it wont boot. The things I have tried include:

- Moving wires away from motherboard on front and back of motherboard.
- Checking the connectors on the cord and the motherboard for bent pins.
- Unplugging and re-installing VGA, CPU, and SATA power connectors the same way as I do with the 24-pin.
-Dusting out both the motherboard port and the 24-pin connector with compressed air.
- Checking the wires in the 24-pin connector for cuts or visible shorts in the wire.
- Unplugging PSU from wall and letting all power drain from computer and try powering on after plugging it back in.

I know it isn't my cables to my case because I can hear the clicking of the power button trying to start the computer. The LEDs on the motherboard also stay on all the time regardless. I just can not figure out why simply resetting it back to where it started will make it boot, but if it is on it can run for 10 hours straight with no issues what-so-ever. The computer will not even try and boot, as it doesn't even spin the fans nor does it post. The reason I don't think there is a short is because unplugging from wall would remove all static from any shorts, but it still does not have my computer boot. When my computer does boot, it shows no indication that something was wrong or has even changed. The only thing is Windows keeps trying to update but is unable to, but I highly doubt that is the problem as my computer won't get as far as BIOS.

Solution
So I found the issue and man do I feel stupid. So the reason it wont boot is because you need a displayport 1.2 for my GTX 1070 but I just got some off-brand one that was not certified 1.2. I assume this is the problem because it will boot 1 time and 1 time only with the displayport plugged in, but after that my exact issue happens again. If I have no monitors hooked up, or only my secondary monitor hooked up via hdmi, it boots just as new. Now, I have thought I have solved this problem multiple times, but considering it wouldn't work as soon as I plugged my monitor back in I assume that's why. I just never paid any attention to that because I never thought it could be my monitor. I do not know how unplugging and then reinserting...

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

I do not see any forum about this issue specifically for my motherboard. Also the only BIOS update there was that I didn't have was the update to make the BIOS compatible with Kabylake CPUs.

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
So an update here. I tried booting with 1 stick of RAM without touching 24 pin connector and it booted but didnt post. So I shut it down and tried it again and did the same thing as before without me touching it. So I tried putting the stick back in and it still didnt boot. So I took my other stick of RAM out and left the one I took out before in and it booted but didnt post. Then I powered down and tried to boot again without touching it and it didnt even boot. Now, even with my old 24-pin connector trick I was using to get it to boot AND post and work just fine, it boots but doesnt post no matter what. My once working but malfunctioning computer is now not working. I think its the motherboard because my PSU seems fine but switching the RAM like that shouldn't affect my PSU but it did let it boot. I also triple checked no wires or screws were causing a short. Anyone have any idea?

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

So I did sine breadboard breadboarding and when I was putting it back inside my case I found my internal speaker under my motherboard so I though that must be what is shorting it. So I corrected it and finished putting it back together, and then after being off all night it turned on just fine in the morning. After that I thought problem solved. But just today I tried to turn it on after it being off for 2 days and it woudl turn on. So I leaned it over to see and then it turned on when it was slightly leaned over. Now it is back to the having to reinsert the 24-pin connector every time I want it to turn on. When it turned on the first time (When I leaned it over to turn it on) it came up with a screen saying the PSU surge protector shut down my computer last time it was on. Is it my PSU that is bad or could it possible be any short? I wouldnt think an EVGA supernova 850B2 would go bad in just 2 months, but I dont know what could be going wrong.

P.S. the reason it wasnt booting before is because when I was trying 1 stick of RAM I accidentally didnt insert in back in fully.

Keep with the breadboarding, try to play and use it as usual, if you have no issues whatsoever then something in the case is causing the problem.

You did use the standoffs to place the mobo inside the case right? Pointing it out just in case...

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Yeah standoffs are there, and I moved wires off of the motherboard. The only thing I can think of that could be causing an issue is that when I cable managed (aka when this started) I also flipped over my PSU because I originally put it in upside down. I dont know how that would cause an issue, but it is the only other thing I changed.

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

So now I have tried a few more things. I have found that if I unplug my GPU from my motherboard and plug it back in it will boot as if I unplugged and plugged back in the 24-pin, but just unplugging the VGA cord for no GPU power does not let it boot. It has to be unplugged from the motherboard. I also tried a different outlet with no luck. I also tried loosening the standoff screws in my motherboard to prevent it from bending my motherboard. I have not clue what could be causing this and I really need an answer. If someone could find SOME possible solution that would be great!

ww1superstar

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
So I found the issue and man do I feel stupid. So the reason it wont boot is because you need a displayport 1.2 for my GTX 1070 but I just got some off-brand one that was not certified 1.2. I assume this is the problem because it will boot 1 time and 1 time only with the displayport plugged in, but after that my exact issue happens again. If I have no monitors hooked up, or only my secondary monitor hooked up via hdmi, it boots just as new. Now, I have thought I have solved this problem multiple times, but considering it wouldn't work as soon as I plugged my monitor back in I assume that's why. I just never paid any attention to that because I never thought it could be my monitor. I do not know how unplugging and then reinserting my 24-pin helps that, but when I do that, it lets me boot once just like if I plug in my displayport (when I plug in my displayport it will only boot once).

Link to where I found this solution: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3d3doj/pc_fails_to_boot_when_displayport_is_plugged_into/

Solution

Well damn, I would have never thought of that, and they even know the exact reason regarding that 5V signal...

Glad to see you found the solution to your problem.