Question Computer won't boot

Apr 28, 2019
I've been playing around with it for some time now. The motherboard RGB lights come on when I turn on my power supply but my fans do not turn on or light up. I've breadboarded it twice, tried every ram slot, tried disconnecting gpu, and I get the same result of only the motherboard rgb lights coming on. I've disconnected and reconnected the front panel connectors several times and have done everything I can think of. I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or if my motherboard is just fried from short circuiting earlier.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I've been playing around with it for some time now. The motherboard RGB lights come on when I turn on my power supply but my fans do not turn on or light up. I've breadboarded it twice, tried every ram slot, tried disconnecting gpu, and I get the same result of only the motherboard rgb lights coming on. I've disconnected and reconnected the front panel connectors several times and have done everything I can think of. I'm not sure if I'm overlooking something or if my motherboard is just fried from short circuiting earlier.

The obvious first place to start would be your complete specs and the full story (did this build ever work, if it did when did it start having problems, etc). All you've told us is that some mystery PC isn't booting.

Apr 28, 2019
The obvious first place to start would be your complete specs and the full story (did this build ever work, if it did when did it start having problems, etc). All you've told us is that some mystery PC isn't booting.
I recently built it today. I have a intel i5 9400F cpu with a asus prime z390 A motherboard. This build never worked. I went to turn it on and a fire started from the 24 pin connector. It shorted out because there was an extra standoff touching the motherboard on it's first boost. I also do not have an internal speaker so I wouldn't know how many times it's beeping

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well if the fire started from the 24pin then surely you have fried your motherboard there is no other opinions in this mate, just replace your motherboard instead and you could've damaged your cpu not killed it but shorten the life span of it.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Only other option you have is, by getting another motherboard and testing your cpu in it, if it didnt work then your CPU could be dead as well, if it worked then your motherboard needs to be replace, and what kind of a power supply do you have?

Apr 28, 2019
Only other option you have is, by getting another motherboard and testing your cpu in it, if it didnt work then your CPU could be dead as well, if it worked then your motherboard needs to be replace, and what kind of a power supply do you have?
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I recently built it today. I have a intel i5 9400F cpu with a asus prime z390 A motherboard. This build never worked. I went to turn it on and a fire started from the 24 pin connector. It shorted out because there was an extra standoff touching the motherboard on it's first boost. I also do not have an internal speaker so I wouldn't know how many times it's beeping

An actual fire inside your PC strikes me as something that one would mention immediately. A bit like calling a doctor for advice about a stomach ache and belatedly mentioning "oh yeah, I got stabbed in the stomach."

It's likely the motherboard was destroyed. Possibly more, but you won't know for sure until you get a new motherboard.