[SOLVED] Computer wont connect to internet via Wifi or via Ethernet

Jan 19, 2022
Hello,
I've tried resetting my router to factory setting and resetting my windows 11 computer to factory settings. I get an error like this:
image.png

My work computer and all of my other devices can connect and I have no problems with them.
My internet on my computer will work sometimes and other times Ill just get pages that look like this:
image.png

If I switch over to WIFI if I'm on a wired connection my internet will work again for about another 5 minutes and then I would get the same page until I switch connections again.

Solution
Sorry about that. Previous picture is without Ethernet connected. This is the picture with the ethernet connected:
image.png
That looks normal. You have an IP address from DHCP Your default gateway is a typical home router IP address. Your DNS server is also the router IP address.
I might disable IPv6 on your ethernet just to be sure it isn't causing problems.

With the ethernet connected what happens if in a CMD.EXE window you ping 8.8.8.8 ? or do nslookup.exe www.google.com ?

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
I've tried resetting my router to factory setting and resetting my windows 11 computer to factory settings. I get an error like this:
image.png

My work computer and all of my other devices can connect and I have no problems with them.
My internet on my computer will work sometimes and other times Ill just get pages that look like this:
image.png

If I switch over to WIFI if I'm on a wired connection my internet will work again for about another 5 minutes and then I would get the same page until I switch connections again.
Start by connecting the ethernet cable and opening a CMD.EXE window. Type ipconfig.exe /all -- post the output.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry about that. Previous picture is without Ethernet connected. This is the picture with the ethernet connected:
image.png
That looks normal. You have an IP address from DHCP Your default gateway is a typical home router IP address. Your DNS server is also the router IP address.
I might disable IPv6 on your ethernet just to be sure it isn't causing problems.

With the ethernet connected what happens if in a CMD.EXE window you ping 8.8.8.8 ? or do nslookup.exe www.google.com ?

Solution
Jan 19, 2022

I set my DNS server as 8.8.8.8 and that worked. I don't know why all of a sudden I needed to switch my default automatic DNS server to 8.8.8.8.

8.8.8.8 is google DNS and it almost can't go down, the 8.8.8.8 address is actually many duplicated machines and if one would fail it will just use a different one

The default method of using DNS is to use your router as a proxy to cache dns request and then make the actual request to the ISP DNS server. The ISP DNS server tends to not be as robust as say google or cloudflare (1.1.1.1). Most the time though it is something strange with cache firmware in the router.

I am not sure why the router cache feature exists. The end device will hold DNS entries for a short time itself.

In the long run I suspect both router DNS and many ISP DNS will be obsolete. Most current browsers allow you to use encrypted DNS so the DNS request goes over HTTPS. The last time I looked this only worked with cloudflare and google DNS servers. If you have not activated this option you might
consider it. Makes it harder for anyone to track what websites you use.......well that i what they use cookies for I guess.

Reactions: azpy1
Jan 19, 2022
8.8.8.8 is google DNS and it almost can't go down, the 8.8.8.8 address is actually many duplicated machines and if one would fail it will just use a different one

The default method of using DNS is to use your router as a proxy to cache dns request and then make the actual request to the ISP DNS server. The ISP DNS server tends to not be as robust as say google or cloudflare (1.1.1.1). Most the time though it is something strange with cache firmware in the router.

I am not sure why the router cache feature exists. The end device will hold DNS entries for a short time itself.

In the long run I suspect both router DNS and many ISP DNS will be obsolete. Most current browsers allow you to use encrypted DNS so the DNS request goes over HTTPS. The last time I looked this only worked with cloudflare and google DNS servers. If you have not activated this option you might
consider it. Makes it harder for anyone to track what websites you use.......well that i what they use cookies for I guess.
Thank you so much! I enabled DNS over HTTPS.