Computer won't detect my sound card

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I have an ASUS Streix raid pro and i installed it yesterday on my computer on my pcie 4 slot on my asrock z97 mobo using a dual molex to 6 pin adapter because my gpu is using the only 2 6 pins i had.

This morning I took my sound card out because I wanted to put it in the pcie 1 slot instead so it is above my gpu and not underneath it where thr fans are but now my computer won't detect my sound card.

I tried putting it back in the original pcie 4 slot where i first had it but computer still won't detect it. I've tried to reinstall the driver but the installation gets so far and says error no sound card device detected. The led on the sound card is on inside the tower so it must be recieing power but my pc won't detect it I don't know what to do.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Thankyou so much paperdoc for helping me too! Just got to do the restore to previous date when I get home to try fix the device manager thing and tinker with my volumes then hopefully everything is completely sorted!

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Ok I did the system restore to the 30th of Jan. Reinstalled my sound card driver and everything was good. Device Manager Showed this:

Line (Strix Sound Card)
Microphone (Strix Sound Card)
SPDIF Out (Strix Sound Card)
Speakers (Strix Sound Card)

Then I installed the asmedia usb 3.1 driver for it and device manager now shows this:

Line (2- Strix Sound Card)
Microphone (2- Strix Sound Card)
SPDIF Out (2- Strix Sound Card)
Speakers (2- Strix Sound Card)

So it's when I install that usb thing off the soundcard website but why is it doing that?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've had a look inside that driver and there's no evidence of it containing any driver to do with Strix sound card. My only guess is the when Asmedia usb driver is installed Windows reinstalls Strix sound card drivers.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=asmedia

If you click last update, Win10 Asmedia driver was last updated 25/10/2018 so it's a newer driver than the one on Asus's website.

Do a system restore again and dont install Asmedia usb3 driver from Asus. Win10 has the driver already and it'll take care of that itself.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Why is the asmedia usb thing being installed when i install my soundcard driver then I don't understand :(? Before I installed my soundcard again after the restore it wasn't there but as soon as i install the soundcard the asmedia thing installs with it because it pops up on device manager along with the strix sound card after installing my sound card driver

boju

Titan
Ambassador
[strike]Think whats happening is the sound card has a usb component to be compatible with usb headphones using the motherboard's usb bus. Windows detects this when Strix driver is installed and assigns Asmedia usb3 drivers to it. [/strike]

Actually i was completely wrong there. Has nothing to do with usb headphones. Usb headphones wouldnt work with a sound card anyway.

Manual doesn't state what Asmedia is for neither do their Faq questions. Came across this that makes a lot more sense now.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78464-Asus-Strix-Raid-DLX-Problem-with-sound-cutting/page16

This sound card uses an ASMEDIA USB hub to interface with the PCIE slot, so it makes sense that if the drivers for this were bad we'd have issues.

Yeah, so Asmedia driver is required for the card to run.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah when I installed the sound card driver everything is normal, in device manager everything is listed as normal but as soon as I update the usb driver from the sound card website after i get:

Line (2- Strix Sound Card)
Microphone (2- Strix Sound Card)
SPDIF Out (2- Strix Sound Card)
Speakers (2- Strix Sound Card)

In device manager instead of the orginal:

Line (Strix Sound Card)
Microphone (Strix Sound Card)
SPDIF Out (Strix Sound Card)
Speakers (Strix Sound Card)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah that's what i thought you meant. Asus's usb driver is actually older. That's why i linked to Win10's update catalogue showing Win10 already has the driver. What's happening is you're installing an older usb driver again and that's causing Windows to reinstall sound driver again giving you those numbers.

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Hmm but when I install the sound card driver it gives my as media USB Asmedia 3.0.(1.0 Microsoft) in device manager, I can't remember exact words

The USB driver on the sound card website is 3.1. As soon as I install that in device manager USB Asmedia 3.0 (1.0 Microsoft) changes to just Asmedia USB 3.0 and above it adds a new entry called Asmedia USB 3.1 extensible host or something

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Do i need to uninstall the 3.1 extensible host driver I installed and just leave to original Asmedia USB thing the sound card installed and/or update it to a later driver off that catalogue page?

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Because I'm hoping maybe if I installed the correct most up to date drivers it'll fix the fuzzy noise my headset makes and the mic making insane noise when I turn the mic volume up to max?

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Do you know which are the latest correct driver(s) I need please I'm really bad when it comes to driver updates I've always just used my asrock app shop thing to check for updates on drivers

Nuruize

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
Ok thankyou :) A question I forgot to ask sorry:
Should I unplug the wire on my mobo tgat is connected to my realtek HD audio and/or disable/delete the realtek HD audio driver now that I'm using a soundcard? I don't know if it can cause conflicts or not and if that's what you're supposed to do when you install a soundcard into your system

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na no need to disconnect front panel audio or remove Realtek drivers. There shouldn't be any problems keeping them. Besides, Win10 will just keep reinstalling driver anyway after restarting. What you could do to troubleshoot if incase Realtek is the issue is disable it in device manager.

Another idea i just thought of now (if you have the patience lol) is try power the sound card with the right pcie cable from the video card or try your brother's pc. Just incase molex might be causing grounding issues producing that noise.