Question Computer won't display.

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
A buddy of mine is dealing with this issue, so I can't quite deal with it directly but here's the issue.

My friend was playing games just fine and it just went to complete crap. All things involved with the USB's stopped and froze and then the computer will not display to his monitors anymore. We were trying to figure out the issue. We tried giving the GPU more power because he forgot to put the extra cable to keep power and just used daisy-chained 8-pins for his 3070. We tried reseating the RAM, didn't work and there are no EZ-LED lights showing any issues or staying on.

PC parts
B550 MSI (don't know which one exactly)
EVGA FTW3 3070
500 GB SSD
2 TB HDD
CPU 3600x
Corsair RMx750W

Any suggestions will help greatly.

Lutfij

Titan
We tried giving the GPU more power because he forgot to put the extra cable to keep power and just used daisy-chained 8-pins for his 3070.
That reads like you either killed the PSU or the motherboard for lack of power.

Maybe try and source a donor PSU that's equally reliably built and try powering the system with bare minimum components(and the discrete GPU).

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
IF/when you try another quality PSU of adequate wattage and design (which would come with a pair of 6+2 PCI-e GPU power cables) to rule that out, do NOT mix/reuse modular cables from old PSU with new and/or test PSU...
Will do, I knew that you shouldn't use cables from another PSU. He had extra cables from the PSU when we previously built his computer, I had told him that the 3070 needed extra cables when he installed it alone but he decided not to listen to me, I thought that it might be okay and only turn off or show some minor issues if something did happen but that appears to not be the situation.

MrPooGu

Reputable
Aug 15, 2016
We tried giving the GPU more power because he forgot to put the extra cable to keep power and just used daisy-chained 8-pins for his 3070.
That reads like you either killed the PSU or the motherboard for lack of power.

Maybe try and source a donor PSU that's equally reliably built and try powering the system with bare minimum components(and the discrete GPU).
We don't have any extra PSU's that can supply power for the 3070. His 750W is a gold and the only thing I have is a 650W bronze from when I changed out my power supply or I have my brother's Seasonic 650W gold, would that be alright if we are just testing to see if the displays work then? The computer turns on completely when we try to turn it on but it just does not display.