[SOLVED] computer wont do anything

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shaneblack123

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
hey was wondering if any of you can help me?
i have a pc that turns on perfectly all the light on the mobo turns on, gpu lights on,cpu lights on. the problem is that the pc will not turn off when powered on, nothing on the monitor shows up (monitor works been tested), no lights on keyboard or mouse ( works been tested), usbs work as i was able to charge my phone through it.
tried using cpu graphics nothing happened just the same. changed hdmi cables still nothing. changed plug sockets nothing. changed power cables same outcome turns on doesnt switch off but doesnt power keyboard monitor or mouse. yes the computer is old but nothing like this has happened before except once but a hard power off and on fixed it for a few months. i have unplugged ram and replugged ram still nothing, fan lights are on and working aswell

PC SPECS:
GTX 960 strix 4gb
16gb ram ddr3
thermal take 350 psu
amd fx 8350 cpu
h110m asus motherboard
curved samsung 1080p 60hz monitor

everything has been working perfect since christmas time. due to the coronavirus i am very limited for stuff to replace. this is also my little sisters computer so getting it back up and running in this period or time is also very essential.
any insight is a massive help

Solution
That is a very low end board, not well suited to that CPU. FX 8350 is a very power hungry CPU, and that board's power delivery is not well suited for it. That board does have it's own integrated graphics, though. You can pull out the GTX 960, and then hook your monitor up to the motherboard.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That is a very low end board, not well suited to that CPU. FX 8350 is a very power hungry CPU, and that board's power delivery is not well suited for it. That board does have it's own integrated graphics, though. You can pull out the GTX 960, and then hook your monitor up to the motherboard.

Just for my own curiousity, where was the correct mobo model listed?
I was of the impression that the one in OP was not correct, and the one he listed further down appeared to be an incorrect model number.

shaneblack123

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
i have already tried that. i will try again tomorrow and let you knows as i cant see to it anymore

shaneblack123

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Keyboard and mouse not lighting up.this is a clue I think that means windows is not booting up.Does it seem like windows is booting,but just not displaying?like is their a hard drive activity light blinking indicating windows is booting?

On a side note I have the same board,and if I don't turn my monitor off and back on again before booting from a completely off position position,I get no display.
i have just checked there was not light indications on the hard drives but im 98% positive there never was. i have booted up with 1 out and the other in then vice versa. then both out to see if i can get the bios still nothing

shaneblack123

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
So today I've took the cpu out and reinstalled it, still the same. I tried to do a CMOS trip but had no clue how to do it as the manual didnt say anything about it. I completely removed the GPU and used the motherboards onboard graphics (someone said that model had it) still nothing. Only thing I can think off now is that the PSU may have short circuit due to it being forced shut off by the wall switch whilst it was still running everything, Is this possible?

Andyme177

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
You stated, "sister switched it off by the wall socket." Killing the power to a running computer is bad news can do all sorts of invisible damage. That will send a power surge that will seek out lowest resistance it could fry the USB device itself or the port of the pc.