[SOLVED] Computer won't get past motherboard boot screen

Jan 16, 2019
I know there's already a thread on this issue but I just wanted some direct answers . Recently my friend's computer stopped getting to windows and I tried to help. I came to his house with my computer ,(which conveniently had the same processor, ram, and motherboard) and started troubleshooting with my parts. (My ram in his PC, his ram in mine). His ran wasn't the problem, so I unplugged usb devices and it didn't help. I then unplugged his hard drive and still nothing. I thought that I had narrowed it down to either motherboard or processor, so thats what I tried next. Instead of singling out either of those, I just let him buy my processor, Mobo, and ram in one and it worked, until just yesterday (two weeks after my parts were put in). He's mad at me because he thinks I gave him faulty parts but they'd been working for me just fine for 2 years. I'm just confused because it worked but then stopped working. Did the stuff I gave him just die? Or is it something up stream like power supply or power surge protector?

Solution
Or is it something up stream like power supply or power surge protector?
Yes, something depends on what PSU and GPU your friend had? Also your friend may have different electricity provider, even your guy have the same cpu/MB/RAM, that will not tell the whole story, because something like the power is not good, it will kill the PSU, or the PSU will not handle the GPU, or there is the electric short circuit between the MB and case, or your friend had some of USB devices that are not compatible to your friend PC, etc.

So you should try this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
Or is it something up stream like power supply or power surge protector?
Yes, something depends on what PSU and GPU your friend had? Also your friend may have different electricity provider, even your guy have the same cpu/MB/RAM, that will not tell the whole story, because something like the power is not good, it will kill the PSU, or the PSU will not handle the GPU, or there is the electric short circuit between the MB and case, or your friend had some of USB devices that are not compatible to your friend PC, etc.

So you should try this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Solution
Jan 16, 2019
I think it may be the power supply, but i dont know the wattage of his. What i was thinking was he mightve already been at his max for the power supply, and i gave him my ram (which is 4x4 instead of 1x8), that it mightve gone over the limit of the psu and it stressed it out too much and it just died because now he cant even turn it on.