Question Computer won't go to sleep or turn off after deleting boot partition

Jun 28, 2019
Hi all,

Yesterday I cloned my regular ssd to my new m.2 ssd with system clone from aomei. The entire thing went great, and windows booted just fine via the m2 ssd. After that, I erased the regular ssd. Partition manager was bitchy about that, so I had to erase the disk with diskpart delete override. After that, the problems started: Windows would not boot and gave weird errors. Apparently, the boot partition was still on my regular ssd. The media installation tool could not fix this, but luckily I found a tutorial online to restore the boot partition by copying it from the windows installation(https://medium.com/@hetmansoftware/...eleted-efi-partitions-in-windows-653a68b5c09f). It fixed the problem of not being able to boot, but now my computer won't go to sleep nor turn off. Every time I press sleep, my screen goes black and then instantly goes back to the login screen. This behavior is the same when trying to turn my pc off. I tried a lot of things: disabling fast boot, running all windows problem solvers, sfc scan, resetting my bios, but to no avail. Is there something else I can try?

Kind regards,

Rens

Honestly, there probably is, but it will likely take MUCH longer to hunt and peck at the problem trying to figure out what's been borked by the process you went through than it would to simply do a clean install. I'd just back up any important files and settings you need, and whack the whole thing with a clean install. You could spend weeks trying to figure out where the registry is screwed up at or what exactly is causing the OS to malfunction.

In the future, when you clone a drive, you need to copy ALL of the partitions including the primary OS partition, and the boot/EFI partitions. Whether or not you include the system "recovery" partition is up to you. I usually don't include that one because it never works right anyhow so what's the point.

As well, ANY time you install Windows, make SURE you disconnect ALL storage devices EXCEPT the target drive and the drive you are installing from.

Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for your fast response! I did copy the EFI partition to the new drive, but I guess the drive letters were messed up at the time of the clone, so when I changed the drive letters, the EFI partition didn't change it as well. I guess a clean install is the best option. However, I spend a lot of time fixing it, and reinstalling windows right now feels as giving up.

It's not giving up. It's making sure that the fix is a permanent one and that you are not wasting any more time on a solution that will probably, almost certainly, not work out as well as a clean install anyhow.

You can swim the river, or you can use a bridge. Both get you across, but one of them gets you a lot less wet AND requires a lot less heavy breathing. In this scenario, if you just enjoy swimming enough to make it worth the extra expenditure of energy, then maybe it's an acceptable option. But if expediency is at all key, then the bridge will get you across and on your way a heck of a lot faster and with no chance of drowning.