Computer wont load windows 7 with 4GB of RAM

twinpawer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Hi,

I have an AMD system - It is currently running with 1 stick of 2GB ram. Lately, I added another identical 2GB stick to it. However, Windows 7 is not booting with 2 sticks of RAM. It will boot with either stick of ram, but not both together. Ubuntu loads fine (from CD). I have tried reinstalling windows, but it still doesnt load. It hangs at the 'starting windows' screen.

I am baffled what could be the problem, given these are identical sticks of ram! I have another pc as well, and haved swapped the RAM. The other pc works fine with these 2 x 2gb, but this computer still wont boot with the other' pcs 4gb ram as well.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

System description below:

Asrock M3A UCC
AMD Athlon II X4 645 (3.1Ghz)
2x 2GB RAM (PQI, DDR 1333)
1 x 500 GB RAM

I've also tried resetting the BIOS defaults. The only change I've did was change SATA mode to AHCI. Bios was updated to latest version.

twinpawer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I've tried changing RAM, PSU, and today even motherboard (exact same model)! Still the same problem! I'm really confused about this!

I don't have an extra CPU which I could try, but it doesn't look like a CPU problem to me. I didnt change graphics card neither, but again, I don't thing gfx card would have anything to do with this?

HippieMagic

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Try to install the ram, go into your bios, and downclock it to see if it lets you boot.

That can fix the issue of it hanging on the windows screen. It may also help to install the RAM and remove the CMOS battery to reset it.

Worse case scenario you may have to reinstall windows but don't go quite that far yet.

twinpawer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I've already tried running the ram at DDR1066 as opposed to the current DDR1333, but it still the same problem.

Some very strange thing I've discovered now - I've reverted the bios defaults, and did NOT set the SATA mode to AHCI. I let it as the default, IDE mode .Unbelievably, it is now installing windows! However, I would not want to use IDE mode, given that it does not support NCQ. How on earth would the SATA-mode have to do with amount of ram sticks installed??

TRENDING THREADS