Question Computer won't post, 1 long 4 short

Thegraymerchant

Reputable
Feb 19, 2017
Hi all, I am currently reassembling an old computer of mine after keeping it in boxes for the past few years. The mobo was kept in a box with the CPU in it, and the other components were kept in boxes, with antistatic bags for some of the smaller stuff like ram.

When I first assembled it, it would turn on then power cycle once. No video output or beeps. I tried changing the GPU out and tried mobo video output. After resetting cmos, still nothing. I decided to run without ram and got the usual no memory beeps. But when I put the ram back in I got an error code of one long and 4 short beeps (Asus motherboard). More specifically, it was 1 high beep, then 1 long, 4 short, pause, 1 long, 4 short, pause, 1 short, then it turns off. I tried putting the ram in different slots and only used one at a time, but it still has the same result.

At this point I took the mobo battery out, reset cmos, then put the battery back on. It still does the 1 long 4 short code. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks 😊.

Hi all, I am currently reassembling an old computer of mine after keeping it in boxes for the past few years. The mobo was kept in a box with the CPU in it, and the other components were kept in boxes, with antistatic bags for some of the smaller stuff like ram.

When I first assembled it, it would turn on then power cycle once. No video output or beeps. I tried changing the GPU out and tried mobo video output. After resetting cmos, still nothing. I decided to run without ram and got the usual no memory beeps. But when I put the ram back in I got an error code of one long and 4 short beeps (Asus motherboard). More specifically, it was 1 high beep, then 1 long, 4 short, pause, 1 long, 4 short, pause, 1 short, then it turns off. I tried putting the ram in different slots and only used one at a time, but it still has the same result.

At this point I took the mobo battery out, reset cmos, then put the battery back on. It still does the 1 long 4 short code. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks 😊.
Beep codes are not universal, you need to know which exact MB you have.