[SOLVED] Computer wont POST and keeps restarting over and over

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
Hey computer hobbyists of Toms Hardware forums,

I just now built my brother a computer using almost all brand new parts except for the CPU and RAM, which were part of a pre-built computer that I upgraded from.

The computer seems to not want to POST and just kind of goes into a cycle of attempting to boot, shutting down, and repeating (I tested this with a monitor and it did not show any signal). However, whenever I would press the power button a second time, it would not restart but nothing else would happen.

Here is a video of what my current situation is
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJTKK6eDtYI&feature=youtu.be
In this video I show what my computer is doing and what happens when I press the power button as it's in the restart loop.

The specs are:

Could anybody help me figure out what is wrong with this computer?

Solution
That CPU is not compatible with that motherboard. The i7-6700 needs to be used with Z170 or Z270 motherboard, or a lower chipset like H170/H270. Z390 is ONLY for 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs.

They are all LGA 1151, from 6th Gen through 9th Gen, but they are not all compatible with the same chipsets and motherboards. 6th and 7th are backwards and forwards compatible. 8th and 9th are compatible with each other. 6th and 7th are not compatible with 8th and 9th nor with the motherboards that support them.
That CPU is not compatible with that motherboard. The i7-6700 needs to be used with Z170 or Z270 motherboard, or a lower chipset like H170/H270. Z390 is ONLY for 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs.

They are all LGA 1151, from 6th Gen through 9th Gen, but they are not all compatible with the same chipsets and motherboards. 6th and 7th are backwards and forwards compatible. 8th and 9th are compatible with each other. 6th and 7th are not compatible with 8th and 9th nor with the motherboards that support them.

Reactions: chris h the guy
Solution

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
That CPU is not compatible with that motherboard. The i7-6700 needs to be used with Z170 or Z270 motherboard, or a lower chipset like H270. Z390 is ONLY for 8th and 9th Gen Intel CPUs.
Oh! Seriously? I thought it was compatible. I should do some more research into what I am buying next time...Thank you so much

I suppose I will buy a newer CPU or get an older generation of motherboard, since my budget is kind of tight.