Question Computer won't post / boot after USB Short (put in front panel USB backwards)

DevilsPox

Prominent
Oct 11, 2021
Today I put in a cheap wireless mouse USB dongle into my case's front-panel USB, backwards. It got stuck, and it shorted my computer. It froze on Windows briefly (it actually showed my network has having dropped I remember seeing), and then turned off very shortly (2 seconds) after.

Now, my computer will not boot (post?). On my motherboard, the red LED help stops on CPU (does not advance to GPU). All of my other components get power and seem to be operating fine (fans, LEDS), and my RAM lights engage and everything seems to work otherwise.

I have done everything I can think - taken out all components, reseated them, took out and cleaned and re-pasted the CPU... I've unplugged the bios battery and flushed the power charge to try to clear the cmos... I've unplugged all I can from the mobo, including the USB / Front panel connection and even the power. (I have used a screwdriver to boot, and the q-flash, and the button). I've even tried bending the USB on the case and putting a different dongle back in..

I'm happy to answer other clarifying questions and any others, or try anything else people can think! open to suggestion. Thanks for your help.

Do I need to buy a new MOBO? CPU? Case?

I have a solid machine, and it has had no issues at all. This is my computer from previous advice thread, for reference. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-advice-please.3729622/page-2#post-22659097
  • NZXT H510 Elite - CA-H510E-W1 - Premium Mid-Tower (Back and Top exhaust fans have been upgraded)
  • EVGA 100 GQ
  • GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS PRO AX ATX Intel Motherboard
  • GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card
  • Intel Core i9-11900K - Core i9 11th Gen Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1200 125W
  • Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
  • 4x 16gig (64gigs) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4800 Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory
  • 2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 PLUS NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive

Today I put in a cheap wireless mouse USB dongle into my case's front-panel USB, backwards. It got stuck, and it shorted my computer. It froze on Windows briefly (it actually showed my network has having dropped I remember seeing), and then turned off very shortly (2 seconds) after.

Now, my computer will not boot (post?). On my motherboard, the red LED help stops on CPU (does not advance to GPU). All of my other components get power and seem to be operating fine (fans, LEDS), and my RAM lights engage and everything seems to work otherwise.

I have done everything I can think - taken out all components, reseated them, took out and cleaned and re-pasted the CPU... I've unplugged the bios battery and flushed the power charge to try to clear the cmos... I've unplugged all I can from the mobo, including the USB / Front panel connection and even the power. (I have used a screwdriver to boot, and the q-flash, and the button). I've even tried bending the USB on the case and putting a different dongle back in..

I'm happy to answer other clarifying questions and any others, or try anything else people can think! open to suggestion. Thanks for your help.

Do I need to buy a new MOBO? CPU? Case?

I have a solid machine, and it has had no issues at all. This is my computer from previous advice thread, for reference. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-advice-please.3729622/page-2#post-22659097
  • NZXT H510 Elite - CA-H510E-W1 - Premium Mid-Tower (Back and Top exhaust fans have been upgraded)
  • EVGA 100 GQ
  • GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS PRO AX ATX Intel Motherboard
  • GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX Video Card
  • Intel Core i9-11900K - Core i9 11th Gen Rocket Lake 8-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1200 125W
  • Noctua NH-D15 SSO2 D-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A15 x 2 PWM Fans
  • 4x 16gig (64gigs) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4800 Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory
  • 2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 PLUS NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive
Probably a new motherboard... If you could still RMA it then RMA it if you dont want to spend much on another board.

Test everything except mobo, on another mobo.

Reactions: Grobe

DevilsPox

Prominent
Oct 11, 2021
Can anyone describe what I should be seeing if my mobo is working but my PSU is not? I’m going to likely replace the mobo but wondering if PSU should be suspect? No beeps occur when I start the computer, just everything powers and red led stuck on first CPU post light.