Computer won't post, tried everything.

Matifls

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi there, so i have this issue where my computer stopped being able to post. It turns on normally, but the GPU fans keep respinning every 3 seconds and I get the No Signal Message.

My specs are:
-FX6300 & 212 EVO (No OC)
-6 GB RAM
-GA 970a-ds3p
-R9 280
-CX500M PSU

So I have had this issue constistently for about half a year now. My PC kept failing atleast once a week where it wouldnt turn back on after I turned it off and I would get the no signal message Although I was never too worried about that as it would usually start back normally the next day. Now that I bought a new mobo, gpu and cpu fan (as listed above), my PC worked perfectly for a month or two, I would occassionally get this issue but nothing too worrying. For a week now, I am not able to turn my PC on, it does not send any signal to my monitor, no beeps unless I take the ram out, gpu fans keep restarting and sometimes I can't shut it down with the Power Button on my case so I have to turn my PSU off.

I tried:

-Switching RAM slots, taking them out, trying individual sticks.
-Taking the CMOS battery out. I also tried putting a jumper on two pins labelled as"1".
-Switching a GPU & Monitor.
-Making sure CPU and RAM is in place.
-Going through the stickied No Post Troubleshoot thread.

Thanks.

My first idea is that the PSU is struggling to power the two AMD components as they use a fair amount of power (I can't find the exact number as AMD seems to be embarrassed about their GPU's power consumption), the CX series is also a low quality series which doesn't help either, do you have a spare, suitable PSU to try?

My other idea is the CPU overheating but as you removed the cooler already, I doubt it's that, how much thermal paste did you use?

Matifls

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015

Unfortunately I do not have any spare PSU's to test with or any I could borrow from friends. I checked my CPU and the fan, applied enough paste, it doesn't drip into the socket but i can see the paste from all 4 sides. And I am also 140% sure I inserted the fan and the CPU correctly. Any other ideas?

Okay, I see you tried another GPU, but did you try with no GPU? I don't believe you have onboard graphics but you'd be able to tell by if it restarts. It could also be incompatible RAM, what make and model are the RAM sticks?

ASK THE COMMUNITY