Computer won't post, tried everything.

Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015
Hi there, so i have this issue where my computer stopped being able to post. It turns on normally, but the GPU fans keep respinning every 3 seconds and I get the No Signal Message.

My specs are:
-FX6300 & 212 EVO (No OC)
-6 GB RAM
-GA 970a-ds3p
-R9 280
-CX500M PSU

So I have had this issue constistently for about half a year now. My PC kept failing atleast once a week where it wouldnt turn back on after I turned it off and I would get the no signal message Although I was never too worried about that as it would usually start back normally the next day. Now that I bought a new mobo, gpu and cpu fan (as listed above), my PC worked perfectly for a month or two, I would occassionally get this issue but nothing too worrying. For a week now, I am not able to turn my PC on, it does not send any signal to my monitor, no beeps unless I take the ram out, gpu fans keep restarting and sometimes I can't shut it down with the Power Button on my case so I have to turn my PSU off.

I tried:

-Switching RAM slots, taking them out, trying individual sticks.
-Taking the CMOS battery out. I also tried putting a jumper on two pins labelled as"1".
-Switching a GPU & Monitor.
-Making sure CPU and RAM is in place.
-Going through the stickied No Post Troubleshoot thread.

Thanks.

Solution
My first idea is that the PSU is struggling to power the two AMD components as they use a fair amount of power (I can't find the exact number as AMD seems to be embarrassed about their GPU's power consumption), the CX series is also a low quality series which doesn't help either, do you have a spare, suitable PSU to try?

My other idea is the CPU overheating but as you removed the cooler already, I doubt it's that, how much thermal paste did you use?

Matifls

Honorable
Oct 24, 2015

Unfortunately I do not have any spare PSU's to test with or any I could borrow from friends. I checked my CPU and the fan, applied enough paste, it doesn't drip into the socket but i can see the paste from all 4 sides. And I am also 140% sure I inserted the fan and the CPU correctly. Any other ideas?

Okay, I see you tried another GPU, but did you try with no GPU? I don't believe you have onboard graphics but you'd be able to tell by if it restarts. It could also be incompatible RAM, what make and model are the RAM sticks?

Solution