[SOLVED] Computer wont post with my gpu installed anymore

Mar 22, 2019
Hi guys.

So a few days ago I started a game on my pc and left for a moment to get some food, but when I came back my pc had been turned off. I tried to boot it back on but it didn't even post or give any sort of signal. I heard a crackling noise and got a smell of ozone so I pulled the power cord. Later I noticed that my pc will boot just fine all the way to windows with the integrated graphics, but as soon as I try to boot with the graphics card installed, it seems that the fans will try to start spinning for a fraction of a second, but will almost instantly turn back off and then I wont get any reaction again.

What do you guys think the problem might be? My current theory is that for some reason the voltage spiked on the 12V rail of my less than 6 months old psu that had been working just fine until now, and fried my gpu. The problem shouldn't be only on the psu, because I tried with another psu and got the same results.

My specs are as follows:
Asus Z97-P
i5-4670
msi gtx 970
8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Seasonic focus plus gold 850W

I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Hey Harlolo,
Your GPU is most definitely fried. There are dodgy ways to try fix a GPU that looks like it'll never work again. I'm not so sure I recommend it, but that's up to you.
Best of luck and let me know how it goes!

mikeywhelan

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hey Harlolo,
Your GPU is most definitely fried. There are dodgy ways to try fix a GPU that looks like it'll never work again. I'm not so sure I recommend it, but that's up to you.

Solution
Mar 22, 2019
Hey Harlolo,
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I agree that the gpu is most likely fried. The only question left for me is whether my psu caused the gpu to get fried or did it just die from old age. I wouldn't want to buy and install a new graphics card just to have it break on me as well. The psu did make that electric crackling sound and ozone smell when this problem began, so I'm probably gonna RMA it to be on the safe side.