[SOLVED] Computer won't power on after adding my old SSD to my new computer.

Aug 20, 2020
Hello, I am having some trouble with connecting my old SSD (intel SSD 520 series 240gb) to my new computer.

When I plugged the drive into the motherboard and the power supply (separate 6 pin SATA connector from the rest of my storage.) and tried to turn the computer on nothing happened. There was a bit of a click, but that was it. Pressing the power button subsequently resulted in no sounds being made.

I tried some different approaches to try and find the problem such as;
  1. Only connecting the power cable to the SSD; it still wouldn't power on
  2. Using a different SATA connecter; no change.
  3. Disconnecting my HDD in order to use the power cable from that HDD to power the SSD; resulted in the pc starting (Not ideal, since I want to connect both of them).
I am worried that my PSU just can't supply enough power, but I really doubt that's the problem.

Does anyone know what I should do? Or have been in a similar situation?

Specs:

Cpu:
Intel Core i7-10700KF op til 5.1GHz

GPU:
Asus Rog STRIX RTX 2080TI 11VGB

Motherboard:
Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus (M. WIFI)

RAM:
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHz

Primary storage:
500 GB Samsung 970 EVO

Secondary storage:
Toshiba hdwd110 (1TB)

PSU:
850w 80+ Gold Riotoro G2 Enigma

Last edited:
Solution
Hello, I am having some trouble with connecting my old SSD (intel SSD 520 series 240gb) to my new computer.

When I plugged the drive into the motherboard and the power supply (separate 6 pin SATA connector from the rest of my storage.) and tried to turn the computer on nothing happened. There was a bit of a click, but that was it. Pressing the power button subsequently resulted in no sounds being made.

3. Disconnecting my HDD in order to use the power cable from that HDD to power the SSD; resulted in the pc starting (Not ideal, since I...

3. Disconnecting my HDD in order to use the power cable from that HDD to power the SSD; resulted in the pc starting (Not ideal, since I want to connect both of them).
I am worried that my PSU just can't supply enough power, but I really doubt that's the problem.

Does anyone know what I should do? Or have been in a similar situation?

Specs:

Cpu:
Intel Core i7-10700KF op til 5.1GHz

GPU:
Asus Rog STRIX RTX 2080TI 11VGB

Motherboard:
Asus TUF Gaming Z490-Plus (M. WIFI)

RAM:
32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000MHz

Primary storage:
500 GB Samsung 970 EVO

Secondary storage:
Toshiba hdwd110 (1TB)

PSU:
SSDs use very little power and you have more than enough, I'm afraid that old SSD may have a short in it's electronics, only that would stop the rest from starting/booting.
You could test it in another system or connect by USB adapter.

Solution
When I plugged the drive into the motherboard and the power supply (separate 6 pin SATA connector from the rest of my storage.) and tried to turn the computer on nothing happened.
That's modular PSU. Are you using original cables from this PSU?
If not and you're using cables from a different psu, then you may damage hardware connected.
System not turning on means, there's a short in the system and PSU protections kick in and don't allow to start it.