Computer won't power up today; worked fine last night

Backspaced

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I've been working the google on the intranets machine and haven't found many people with problems like me so...

I built a rig back in December and (after returning dead parts to frys and going newegg) It was working fine and was completely stable. The clocks are all stock except when I feel like playing Crysis and overall the system stayed very cool.

Specs are :
Asus P5Q3 Deluxe wifi@n mobo
Sapphire HD 4870
Intel C2D E8500
BFG 680watt PSU

I was using it last night and it was running fine like always and shut down normally. This morning I went to power it on and after a very short burst of power (LED fans lit up for a second), it just didn't do anything. I checked all my connections, including the gpu and ram, and unplugged the non-essential pieces (HDD, BD Drive and every cable on back except power and DVI) and swapped out all four of my RAM sticks. The computer sat in the same place all night, nothing changed. I have it plugged into a surge protected power conditioner. The PSU is powering the mobo lights. At first I thought my case power switch came loose, but my mobo had build in power buttons and those didn't work either.

What do you guys think happened? I am reluctant to pull out the mobo and check for loose standoffs and such since I'm in a dorm and have no anti-static bags or tools.

Besides loose connections, what could be the problem? I have no case speaker.
...and all this happens right before my CAL match tonight

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
one idea. Say its dumb but I have seen more times than people admit.

Your CPU might have lost the seal to the cooler, so you need to re-install the thermal paste.

Just keep it in the back of your head before tearing out your hair.

At this point, you really need a system speaker.

Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU. Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

If you get the one long and two or three short beeps, install the video card and any needed power cables. If the video card is good, the system should successfully POST (one short beep, usually).

Note - a PSU with inadequate 12 volt output will also cause this step to fail.

Another note that you do not need drives or a keyboard to get this far.

If you successfully POST, start plugging in the rest of the components, one at a time.

Backspaced

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009

Just wondering, but wouldn't it theoretically be able to run w/o a cpu cooler for a few seconds at cold boot, provided the cooler is plugged in? When I press the power button absolutely nothing happens, not even the fans spin.

And thanks for the beep codes. I'm going to pick up a speaker this weekend

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
If the LED lights dont turn on or nothing happens ,its the psu. If it beeps its the ram. If a message comes up ,its the hard drive. Most likely you'll need a new psu.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

You said it , its dumb. without a cooler the cpu can run but only for a short period of time. that is unless it burns in the mobo.

Backspaced

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I've got a BFG LS-680 PSU in there that I got for $90. If it is bad, is it just a rare occurrence, or does BFG suck at power supplies? If I had to get a new one what would you recommend? I need one that sucks it's cold air from inside the case and blows it out the back since I'm using an Antec 900 and it's mounted at the bottom.

TRENDING THREADS