Computer won't print from internet

Exasperated

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
I have an HP Pavilion and an HP Photosmart C4160. Suddenly I can't print anything from the internet, word and excel are fine. I have checked the usb cable. I can't re-download IE8, the error message says my version is newer than IE site. I purchased a new wireless printer thinking the printer just quit ... not. The wireless won't communicate with my computer. Yes, the printer has a connection to the router. Any suggestions??

Exasperated

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

I have verified it isn't the printer by using a different computer. Nothing happens, the only thing that will print is the url and page number, prints at the top of the page.

Does this happen from any web page, with any type of content? What if you try to print a basically text item, like this post?

Does the same issue happen with printing out web-formatted emails? Like the ads you get with images in them. Windows uses different print engines when printing web-based content than it does Office. You can tell as the print options that come up look different.

You can try to run Windows Update to make sure that is current, and make sure you use the HP drivers for the printer from their download site, not the CD that came with the printer. The online files tend to be newer.

Exasperated

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

It happens with any web site including email. I have run all the current windows updates and yes, I downloaded the hp software from the hp site.

Exasperated

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

I am running IE8 ... even the Geek Squad can't answer me. I give UP ... I'll just use my laptop if I have to print anything. Thanks for your help.

OK, that part about "even the Geek Squad" is a bit funny, they are probably the least likely of anyone to know an answer to something :pt1cable:

This happens with different printers also correct? It seems you tried at least 2. How were they connected, over network, USB? Possible to try a different type of connection? If you do a print preview, do you see anything? Try changing the way the printer spools and prints, there should be a setting in the print driver that changes where the processing takes place, change it from PC to printer or vice versa. Too bad I can't sit at the PC and click around, usually things are found by some obscure setting buried in menus.

Exasperated

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

My HP is connected with a USB and I purchased a new Brother wireless, only because I thought my HP had gone bad. I have no idea how the printer "spools". It probably is some obscure setting and I not enough of a "geek" to find it. Thanks again.

gams54

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

I see you had this problem a few months back. I am having the same problem. How did you fix it?