Jun 2, 2020
Hi,

Not the first person to ever ask this but my computer will not recognize my keyboard and mouse at login. I am using a ssd that already has windows 7 from my previous build. I upgraded my cpu and motherboard and on the first boot up they were recognized in BIOS but once windows starts they immediately appear to disconnect or are not recognized. I've tried other keyboards + mice and one PS/2 port and none of them work. I have tried using safe mode but again the keyboard + mouse aren't recognized, as well as most things suggested elsewhere (last known good config, resetting bios, disable driver signature enforcement) but nothing has been working for me so far. Pretty sure that it's something with the USB drivers that's causing the problem, but I have no idea how to access them or what to do beyond sitting in my bios menu.

hardware:
intel i5-9600K
msi z390-A pro
evga 750ti
G.Skill ripjawz 16GB
CM 550W 80+ bronze

Solution
you should always do a fresh windows install when upgrading cpu/mobo. win 10 is better at handling the change but win 7 is not any good at all with it.

so you need to start with a fresh install of win 7. as for the usb driver issues, that's just MS doing all it can to get you on win 10. i have had the same issues and updating your win 7 installer is how you get that usb support back. this is what i found to work well. has not failed me yet and i've put win 7 onto new intel and ryzen 3 systems many times with my updated iso file :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

check this out, use it to update your win 7 iso and then do a FRESH INSTALL OF WIN...
Jun 2, 2020
Also I should add that the only thing I've done so far is M-flash my bios to the latest version but that was before I attempted to login

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you should always do a fresh windows install when upgrading cpu/mobo. win 10 is better at handling the change but win 7 is not any good at all with it.

so you need to start with a fresh install of win 7. as for the usb driver issues, that's just MS doing all it can to get you on win 10. i have had the same issues and updating your win 7 installer is how you get that usb support back. this is what i found to work well. has not failed me yet and i've put win 7 onto new intel and ryzen 3 systems many times with my updated iso file :)

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads...SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

check this out, use it to update your win 7 iso and then do a FRESH INSTALL OF WIN 7!!!!

edit: this updater may take a while depending on what type of win 7 disk you have, so give it time. my disk is 32 and 64 bit of all win 7 versions and it took 5 hours or so to finish. a single version should only take an hour if that.

Solution