Computer won't recognize keyboard or mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
So I have a desktop Compaq Presario 7500. It is running Windows XP SP3, and will not recognize my mouse or keyboard. This problem came all of sudden, I was removing programs from Control Panel a few days ago, but I doubt that it is the cause. I can not access anything because the monitor won't activate until the mouse moves. I have tried every USB port none will work. However, the mouse and keyboard both work fine on other desktops. Thank you for your help.

Solution

This new information makes it likely that your psu, motherboard, or cpu has died and your pc isnt actually booting up. You are probably hearing your harddrives spin up and thinking that its booting. Check the PSU voltages but I think you're in the market for a new motherboard.

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure it's not the monitor. The monitor responds by turning on, however the light stays orange. Even with the mouse, this is normally the case; however, by using the mouse the light turns green and allows the boot up screen to become visible.

I even rechecked the connections, only to get the same results.

popatim

Titan
I agree with McNumpty, At bootup your monitor should be active regardless of the mouse or keybd even being connected. If you dont know how to shut off your pc blind its (xp: windows key> u>enter) (win7: win key> rt arrow> enter) or just hold thepower button in for 6 seconds when theres no HDD activity for force the PSU off.

If you have nothing on the monitor at boot up I would be borrowing someones old GPU to test with.

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Even though the monitor does seem like the problem, it doesn't explain why the keyboard light and mouse light doesn't turn on either after bootup. They both work fine on other devices just not this computer, could it be a Motherboard issue?

id be inclined to think it a motherboard problem... disconnect the monitor from the pc and turn it on. if you get a no signal message the monitor is likely to be fine. reconect it and turn it on. now turn on the pc. if the monitor jumps into standby mode then its likley your motherboard or worse your cpu has died.

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
So here's the thing, after unplugging the monitor from the pc and turning it on I received the "no signal" message. However the monitor was green, therefore it is not a monitor problem. I continued HEXiT's advice and plugged in the pc via VGA cable after the monitor was on. And the monitor went back into standby, as the computer apparently booted up.

So is this a motherboard problem? Did it just come randomly, I mean the computer worked fine the day prior? Anything else I can do to confirm this?

popatim

Titan

This new information makes it likely that your psu, motherboard, or cpu has died and your pc isnt actually booting up. You are probably hearing your harddrives spin up and thinking that its booting. Check the PSU voltages but I think you're in the market for a new motherboard.

Solution

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
So is it certain that my problem is my motherboard? And if so, what should I go about doing to fix it. This computer is close to 8 years old, I believe. Was it just a matter of time? Should I just go buy a new PC?

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Yeah, I have no problem replacing something that doesn't work. However, that's the question. What exactly is it that's broken? Is it worth replacing? This computer ran well before this incident, so is something like this likely to happen? Should I take it into Geek Squad and have them take a look?

benikens

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
If your pc is 8 years old and 1 part is causing it not to work, (i.e mobo) it's not only going to be a hassle to track down an old part but kind of a waste of money to spend on something outdated, if you have the spare money I'd invest in a new build (can make yourself an entire i3 build for ~$500) however if it is say the power supply, you can easily find a replacement for it and in the future if you upgrade you can reuse it. You should be able to keep all your data from your hdd, and if you go for a new build you can still reuse alot of the parts such as the hdd,cd rom,case etc to save some coin.

imo paying a tech to come look at an old machine isn't worth it, not sure how pricey they are for you, but in my area they charge about $100 an hour which is more then the cost of a cheap motherboard.

The Hurricane42

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011

How do I know if it's the power supply? Or the Motherboard?

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
You'd probably have to spend the money getting a multimeter to test your PSU or you could buy a new PSU that would work for your unit.

The easiest test would be with a known good PSU, if your motherboard worked otherwise, it would be the PSU, if it didn't, it'd be the motherboard.

But is finding out worth it for you? Unless you have another working PSU, probably not with a ten year old system.

Status
Not open for further replies.