Computer won't recognize my DVD's???

G

Hello,
No matter what DVD I insert, my computer doesn't seem to recognize it and asks me to insert a disc into the drive?
What gives??

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
i have this problem. No clue to what/how its solved. Tried deleting the upper and lower limits from the registry, no effect.
I have heard that it can be a problem where a disk image stays mounted on the drive but this hasnt happend on mine
really pain in the ass that you cant install windows again because it wont read disks. I will be buying a new hard drive in the next week to "solve" the problem.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
It could just be dead. DVD drives fail over time, I've replaced a good few in laptops particularly one day they're working and the next, kaputski. If it's for a desktop, try get a loan of one and install it and see. Dancollins, maybe try removing the drivers or getting updated ones from the manufacturers website.

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Dancollins does it give the message

APPLICATION NOT FOUND
<drive letter>:\

i have this and i can tell you its not a dead drive :)
sorry collie ^^
ive used multiple disk drives and even taken my ones out and had them working in other machines. They still register its just, weird

G

No. It just sits there and pops up a window with no files listed (as though the DVD were blank).

If I try to "run" it, I get a message that tells me to insert a disk into the E drive. Of course one is ALREADY there, but the computer doesn't recognize it.

possiblyreefer

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Yeah mine does this now. I think it has to be something in the registry. a few things you could try.

unmount the drive image.

uninstall the drive, turn computer off and back on (should re install faulty drivers)

in the BIOS you can check the DVD is not changed to CD/CD-RW. set it to auto just to be safe.

these are all the things i was told to do, nothing work, so new HDD here i come

TRENDING THREADS