Computer won't recognize second internal hard drive

quinncollard

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
My computer has two internal hard drives--when I got it a friend installed an SSD as the primary drive and moved the one the computer came with to the optical drive slot. A few days after he did this my computer stopped recognizing the second drive. I think what I did to fix it that time was update the driver, but I can't figure out where to even find the driver this time--I can't do it in Device Manager because the drive isn't showing up there, when I look on the computer manufacturer's site (HP) it is not able to auto-detect the computer and tells me that neither the serial number nor the computer model name exist when I try to search manually, and when I just google all I can find is where to buy the drive. Not sure what else to do. Most troubleshooting suggestions I'm finding online involve activating the drive in Device Manager, but as I said it's not showing up there, or opening the computer up, and I am nervous about messing something up if I do that.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Does the drive show up in BIOS? If not, open the computer and make sure it didn't get disconnected. Reseat the sata and power cables if necessary just to be sure. It's possible when your friend moved the drive he may not have fully secured it and something came loose.

I assume you've already tried rebooting?