Computer won't recognize USB mouse

drjohnson89

Reputable
Sep 8, 2014
Hello!

Some background: my windows 10 gaming rig has been turned off for about three months, as were in the midst of a move. I finally decided to hook it back up, but couldn't find my Corsair gaming mouse anywhere. Being impatient, I decided to buy a cheap insignia USB mouse as a placeholder.

Upon plugging the mouse in, I heard the USB connection notification, but received no notification about installing drivers or anything. The mouse did light up, but showed no cursor and didn't move. My computer also makes the USB connect and disconnect noise every thirty seconds or so while the mouse is plugged in, making me think it's struggling to even acknowledge the mouse. The mouse did work just fine on my laptop when tested.

In a fit of frustration, I used the Windows recovery to revert to a clean install of windows 10, letting it keep only my personal files. I also checked the bios to make sure legacy usb items were enabled, just in case. At this point I'm at a completed loss. Any help would be great. Thank you!

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Two months ago a new version of win 10 was released, its possible it might fix this problem. I think you can just run set up on PC and it will upgrade your install. You might want to try using linux to copy any files off PC before trying: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

its also possible the cheap mouse is to blame, it should run off windows drivers

Before your install it could be that the corsair drivers were still in place and may have interfered with the cheap mouse, but that shouldn't be case after the reset

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Two months ago a new version of win 10 was released, its possible it might fix this problem. I think you can just run set up on PC and it will upgrade your install. You might want to try using linux to copy any files off PC before trying: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

its also possible the cheap mouse is to blame, it should run off windows drivers

Before your install it could be that the corsair drivers were still in place and may have interfered with the cheap mouse, but that shouldn't be case after the reset

Solution