Computer Won't Restart--PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable // PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012
Hi all, I'm having a little bit of a computer problem--

My computer won't do a restart, but will only boot-up on a Shut-Down, and then by pushing the power-button.

If I do a restart, the boot screen comes up with the option to press F2 to go to BIOS Settings. There's usually a couple changing numbers in the lower-right hand corner. Well-- if I restart those numbers stop at 5A... and after a couple minutes go to a blank screen that says:

Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 087)
Copyright (c) ---copyright info----

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key...

I've check the harddrive, and its plugged in correctly, but its still giving me this error on restart.

Any help would be GREAT! :D Because I'm completely lost at this point. Oh, I am also running a ZT Systems with an i5 processor, if that helps.

Thanks!

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012

My boot order is--

>Hard Disk Drive
>CD/DVD-ROM Drive
>Floppy Drive
>Ethernet

I've also tried CD/DVD-ROM first, but neither has worked.

P Bender

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
By any chance using an Intel SSD?? This because I have the same problem with two HP laptops.

They work fine with shut-down and then switching on, but they don't do "restart"

I tested them with an HDD and they work normal

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012

I'm pulling this from the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, so, hopefully, it should be correct.

The "system manufacturer" is : zt_grp
The "System Model" is : ztsys122

How do I find out what SATA ports the drives are connected? Would that be in the BIOS settings?

I'm not sure if that is right. I have 2 HDDs, one is a 3TB, the other is my 1TB C: drive.

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012

Also, in Disk Management, my System (C:) drive is Disk 1, but my second Hard-Drive, the 3TB, is Disk 0. Could the order here be causing the issue?

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012

Ok, so with CPU-Z my Motherboard Manufacturer is Intel, and the Model is - DP55WB. I'll try switching the SATA cables.

TheBigFunk

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2012

That worked, I opened it up and switched the SATA cables, restarts fine. Thanks!

But now I lost my second HDD, its not showing up in Disk Management, I'm going to open it back up and check its connection...

Thanks again!