[SOLVED] Computer Won't Shut Down Completely

PewterScreaminMach

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I put together this computer nearly three years ago and it's run like a champ ever since. But all good things must come to an end, I suppose...

For no apparent reason, it has recently stopped shutting down entirely. Windows 10 Pro and I go to Start menu, Power, Shut Down. Windows seems to completely shut down as it always does. Signal to monitor drops and monitor goes into sleep mode, but no matter how long I let it sit, the tower doesn't turn off (lights and fans still running).

I have to hold the power button for a few seconds to get it to turn off completely. Always starts up fine afterwards.

Been happening for a couple of months now and no major hardware/software changes that I recall around that time. No overclocking happening.

I've tried disabling the Windows Fast Startup feature and also updating the Intel Management Engine Driver for my motherboard to most current one on their website (ASRock Z370M Pro4). No dice. Haven't tried any other drivers or options yet.

Major components listed below for reference. Any thoughts appreciated.

• AsRock Z370M Pro4
  • i7 8700K
  • MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G
  • 32 GB Ripjaws V Series RAM (4x8GB with two of those sticks installed earlier this year but well before issue started)
  • Dark Rock Pro 3
  • RM650i
  • Fractal Design Define Mini C Black Silent
  • 860 EVO 256GB for OS
  • 6TB WD Black for storage
  • 1TB WD Black for games

Solution
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that indicate what Windows may be doing in lieu of shutting down.

Go back that "couple of months" through history and determine if there is some specific date or event that started creating errors or patterns of errors.

How full is each drive? Especially that EVO 256 GB hosting the OS.

Also:

When powered down, unplug open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Ensure that all cards, cables, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Ralston18

Titan

There may be some error codes, warnings, or even informational events that indicate what Windows may be doing in lieu of shutting down.

Go back that "couple of months" through history and determine if there is some specific date or event that started creating errors or patterns of errors.

Also:

Reactions: PewterScreaminMach
Solution

PewterScreaminMach

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010

Also:

I'll give these things a shot as I have time. Thank you for the response.