Question Computer won't start but Fans Spin at Full speed

Oct 17, 2019
When i tried to turn on the computer it didn't. All the lights including keyboard and mouse light turned on the fans were spinning at full speed but there was no display. All the components are fairly new except the power supply.

Edit: Also there when i clicked on the mouse there was a sound playing. Like a game trailer sound

Oct 17, 2019
When i tried to turn on the computer it didn't. All the lights including keyboard and mouse light turned on the fans were spinning at full speed but there was no display. All the components are fairly new except the power supply.

Edit: Also when i clicked on the mouse there was a sound playing. Like a game trailer sound
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

does the computer work before?

Sorry for the late reply. Yes it did work before without any problems. I removed the graphics card and the computer turned on again. Apparently the problem is the graphics card but i don't understand how a brand new graphics card just got broken out of nowhere
Specs
Graphics Card: Asus Gtx 1660 Ti
CPU: I7-8700
Motherboard: Gigabyte z370HD
PSU: GX Bronze 750 Watt Cooler master
RAM: Corsair 8x2 3200 MHZ

Last edited:
Please add some more backstory.
  1. How long did the system work for with the video card installed?
  2. We all parts new or some carried over from a previous machine?
  3. You stated "Yes it did work before without any problems. I removed the graphics card and the computer turned on again ". So does everything work perfectly fine without the video card in the computer?
  4. Had you done anything to the computer recently (dusting, rewiring, adding parts) when the issue started?

Oct 17, 2019
Please add some more backstory.
  1. How long did the system work for with the video card installed?
  2. We all parts new or some carried over from a previous machine?
  3. You stated "Yes it did work before without any problems. I removed the graphics card and the computer turned on again ". So does everything work perfectly fine without the video card in the computer?
  4. Had you done anything to the computer recently (dusting, rewiring, adding parts) when the issue started?

The system worked without any problems.

All the parts are new just except the PSU and the Case.
Yes everything works fine without the graphics card
No I haven't done anything

The system worked without any problems.

All the parts are new just except the PSU and the Case.
Yes everything works fine without the graphics card
No I haven't done anything
Ok. That model power supply has been on the market over 9 years. I don't know how long you have had yours, but a 1660 may be struggling on a unit that doesn't still have a VERY good portion of its 750 watts.

While it could potentially be a power supply issue, a 1660 Ti shouldn't draw more than about 130 watts under load, and the system as a whole probably wouldn't ever pull more than 350 watts from it. Also, I suspect the system would just crash, rather than displaying a blank screen while the system is apparently loading windows and running in the background.

It sounds more likely to be a graphics card failure, perhaps due to some manufacturing defect if it only worked for a short time. Since its a new card, I'm sure it must be under warranty though. Do you have another system that you could test the graphics card in?

Oct 17, 2019
Ok. That model power supply has been on the market over 9 years. I don't know how long you have had yours, but a 1660 may be struggling on a unit that doesn't still have a VERY good portion of its 750 watts.
It was working well for 2 months then suddenly something happened and it stopped working. I also had a RX 470 i tried installing that one but it still didn't work. I have had this psu for 5 years

Oct 17, 2019
While it could potentially be a power supply issue, a 1660 Ti shouldn't draw more than about 130 watts under load, and the system as a whole probably wouldn't ever pull more than 350 watts from it. Also, I suspect the system would just crash, rather than displaying a blank screen while the system is apparently loading windows and running in the background.

It sounds more likely to be a graphics card failure, perhaps due to some manufacturing defect if it only worked for a short time. Since its a new card, I'm sure it must be under warranty though. Do you have another system that you could test the graphics card in?

No I don't have another system but i have another graphics card (RX 470) which i tried in this system. It didn't work either