Question Computer wont start. Fresh build.

Nov 9, 2022
So, im upgrading my system and its the second time im building a computer but something is wrong. Every time i turn the pc on, it turns on and off in a split second causing the lights and fans to turn on for a split second. I assume i did something wrong but i have no idea what.

My specs:
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700x
MB B550 GAMING X V2
RTX 3060
16+16GB OF RAM
PSU MSI A750GF

So, im upgrading my system and its the second time im building a computer but something is wrong. Every time i turn the pc on, it turns on and off in a split second causing the lights and fans to turn on for a split second. I assume i did something wrong but i have no idea what.

My specs:
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5700x
MB B550 GAMING X V2
RTX 3060
16+16GB OF RAM
PSU MSI A750GF
I am thinking that your motherboard doesn't have a new enough BIOS version to support the 5700X. According to the Gigabyte documentation, the 5700X is only supported with the F14 or later BIOS. Try downloading the newest BIOS version and using the Q-Flash Plus to update the BIOS. https://glennsqlperformance.com/2020/12/22/how-to-flash-a-gigabyte-motherboard-with-q-flash-plus/

Reactions: Why_Me

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
What you describe MAY be a short circuit from the board to Ground. One VERY common cause of this is improper placement of the stand-offs that sit under the mobo to support it spaced away from the case's back mounting plate. If you do NOT know about how to check and adjust these items, post back here for details.

Nov 9, 2022
What you describe MAY be a short circuit from the board to Ground. One VERY common cause of this is improper placement of the stand-offs that sit under the mobo to support it spaced away from the case's back mounting plate. If you do NOT know about how to check and adjust these items, post back here for details.
I was able to turn it on by using a older psu but i have no display. But im pretty sure i placed them correctly. All under each single hole.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If it turns on with another PSU, then maybe your new PSU is faulty.

No display? Your CPU chip does not include a graphics processor so you have installed your own video card. That means your cable to the monitor MUST be plugged into the output socket from that CARD, and NOT from the back panel of the mobo.

I expect that video card requires a power connection directly from the PSU to operate. Have you made that connection? Is that older PSU able to supply all the power the card needs?

Nov 9, 2022
If it turns on with another PSU, then maybe your new PSU is faulty.

No display? Your CPU chip does not include a graphics processor so you have installed your own video card. That means your cable to the monitor MUST be plugged into the output socket from that CARD, and NOT from the back panel of the mobo.

I expect that video card requires a power connection directly from the PSU to operate. Have you made that connection? Is that older PSU able to supply all the power the card needs?
This psu was powering it before so yes it does. Its an 850 psu. I have an hdmi on the card and nothing.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
An idea to consider. You have not told us some details, so this may not apply.

In your upgrade did this system get a NEW PSU? AND, is that of the "modular" type, with cables that plug into sockets on the PSU body and then get connected to the mobo, etc? IF you replaced one modular-styl;e PSU with a new different one, you MUST remove ALL the old modular cables and use ONLY the ones that came with the NEW PSU. Modular cables are NOT standardized, and you cannot use cables from one PSU on a different one.

Nov 9, 2022
An idea to consider. You have not told us some details, so this may not apply.

In your upgrade did this system get a NEW PSU? AND, is that of the "modular" type, with cables that plug into sockets on the PSU body and then get connected to the mobo, etc? IF you replaced one modular-styl;e PSU with a new different one, you MUST remove ALL the old modular cables and use ONLY the ones that came with the NEW PSU. Modular cables are NOT standardized, and you cannot use cables from one PSU on a different one.
I tried both and the results are the same. No display.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
How do i reset those?
It depends on the motherboard. Some boards have a mini button on the board that you push, some have a jumper that you move position, some boards you have to pull the CMOS battery, wait like 30 secs, and re-install it. Removing the CMOS battery works for most systems...

Your mobo manual is here:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-gaming-x_e.pdf

It would seem to indicate there is a jumper you install on CLR_CMOS...if you don't have a jumper, you can use something metal to short these 2 pins with the computer off. The instructions are on PG 19 of that .pdf.

Nov 9, 2022
It depends on the motherboard. Some boards have a mini button on the board that you push, some have a jumper that you move position, some boards you have to pull the CMOS battery, wait like 30 secs, and re-install it. Removing the CMOS battery works for most systems...

Your mobo manual is here:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b550-gaming-x_e.pdf

It would seem to indicate there is a jumper you install on CLR_CMOS...if you don't have a jumper, you can use something metal to short these 2 pins with the computer off. The instructions are on PG 19 of that .pdf.
I did that and nothing. Still no display.

It feels like the board is constantly restarting because the psu keeps making clicking noises.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
And you haven'
I did that and nothing. Still no display.

It feels like the board is constantly restarting because the psu keeps making clicking noises.

I mean, like one guy said earlier, I've seen people put motherboard standoffs in the wrong place and that'd cause the kinds of problems you're describing.

I mean, the procedure you go through as a tech, is you tear it down to the beginning. Pull everything apart and put everything back together again, one bit at a time.
Start with the motherboard. Double check the standoff placement. You might have one for every hole, but you might have one where there ISN'T a hole.
Move to the CPU. Check the pin grid. Bent pins are notorious on motherboards, EVEN NEW ONES.
Is the CPU in correctly? Why not pull it out and double check it? Maybe re-seating it will help.
Pull the ram. Be super attentive when you install ram. Sometimes it can seem like it's in all the way and it'll still be riding up a bit or crooked. Some ram sockets require a surprising amount of force to get sticks seated.
Start with 1 stick and try do boot it. Still no? Try another stick, pulling the first one out. Try each stick 1 at a time.
All the power cables. Unplug em and re-plug em in, double and triple checking to make sure. Did you mistake a video card power cable for a motherboard power cable? Double check. Triple check.
Every part. Every screw. Ever stand off start from scratch and build it again.
I've had to do this once or twice, if you build enough of these things you WILL get a "fail to fire", any tech that tells you "Never happened to me" hasn't built enough. Usually when you start from the beginning, provided nothing is DOA you'll figure it out.

Keep us posted.

Nov 9, 2022
And you haven'

I mean, like one guy said earlier, I've seen people put motherboard standoffs in the wrong place and that'd cause the kinds of problems you're describing.

I mean, the procedure you go through as a tech, is you tear it down to the beginning. Pull everything apart and put everything back together again, one bit at a time.
Start with the motherboard. Double check the standoff placement. You might have one for every hole, but you might have one where there ISN'T a hole.
Move to the CPU. Check the pin grid. Bent pins are notorious on motherboards, EVEN NEW ONES.
Is the CPU in correctly? Why not pull it out and double check it? Maybe re-seating it will help.
Pull the ram. Be super attentive when you install ram. Sometimes it can seem like it's in all the way and it'll still be riding up a bit or crooked. Some ram sockets require a surprising amount of force to get sticks seated.
Start with 1 stick and try do boot it. Still no? Try another stick, pulling the first one out. Try each stick 1 at a time.
All the power cables. Unplug em and re-plug em in, double and triple checking to make sure. Did you mistake a video card power cable for a motherboard power cable? Double check. Triple check.
Every part. Every screw. Ever stand off start from scratch and build it again.
I've had to do this once or twice, if you build enough of these things you WILL get a "fail to fire", any tech that tells you "Never happened to me" hasn't built enough. Usually when you start from the beginning, provided nothing is DOA you'll figure it out.

Keep us posted.
Ive been doing that actually. This time i assembled it over the motherboard box instead. Booting with no ram, then 1 and then 2. With no ssd, with ssd. I can check the cables again but im sure they are all right. They are all named and i made sure to insert the correct ones.

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Ive been doing that actually. This time i assembled it over the motherboard box instead. Booting with no ram, then 1 and then 2. With no ssd, with ssd. I can check the cables again but im sure they are all right. They are all named and i made sure to insert the correct ones.
Then you're left with the pretty distinct probability that you have a DOA component somewhere...power supply, motherboard, or CPU. Probably 1 of the 3. It's unusual to see dead parts from the factory, but it does happen.

Anybody remember "Dragon motherboards" from the socket A days? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 9, 2022
Then you're left with the pretty distinct probability that you have a DOA component somewhere...power supply, motherboard, or CPU. Probably 1 of the 3. It's unusual to see dead parts from the factory, but it does happen.

Anybody remember "Dragon motherboards" from the socket A days? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It might be the cpu honestly. But i have no way of knowing. I dont have another amd cpu.