Computer won't start motherboard light on

Matt1987

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Hello

I built a new computer about a month ago and it was working fine until last week. I left the computer on for the night whilst I was downloading some games on steam. I turned it off in the morning and the next time I came back to use the computer it would not start up. When I press the power button the CPU fan briefly turns on (for maybe one second) and then turns off, then it turns on again for a second and then off (repeats).

My PC specs are:
Corsair CMPSU-750CXM 750CXM ATX Power Modular Supply
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100i Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Carbide 540R High Airflow Black ATX Cube USB3.0 Case
ASUS Z97-A/4 Motherboard
Intel BX80646I54690K I5-4690K,3.50GHZ CPU
Asus STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4 Video Card
G SKill 16G(2x8G)DDR3 2400Mhz RAM
Toshiba 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Samsung EVO 840 SSD - 500GB

I have already tried the following:

- I tried using a different PSU from an earlier build - no change
- I have used my PSU in my other PC and it works fine
- I have removed the CMOS battery, left for 5 minutes and re-inserted it
- I have removed all components except for the PSU, CPU fan and motherboard - same issue
- I have tried the "bread boarding" technique with just the motherboard, CPU fan and PSU and the same thing happens
- I have had a look on the motherboard for any bent pins and loose screws etc, I have also checked the CPU and it looks fine

What else can I do to diagnose this issue and would any of you know what the likely issue is? Also it would be great to understand why this happened so I can prevent this in future!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Solution

Then I suggest RMA-ing both motherboard and CPU. Not sure about the cooler.
The power supply might also be involved. A local PC shop might help in finding the defective component (if not too expensive).

Then I suggest RMA-ing both motherboard and CPU. Not sure about the cooler.
The power supply might also be involved. A local PC shop might help in finding the defective component (if not too expensive).

Solution