Computer won't Start - PSU, MoBo, CPU

ncovs

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Issue: A few days ago while playing games, my computer shut itself off (in such a way that I first thought that there was a power outage to the whole building). Moments later I noticed a slight amount of smoke coming from the desktop tower, I also believe just prior to shutting off that I heard a noise (maybe a capacitor popping or a fan grinding on something).

Once this happened I unplugged everything and took the side off of the tower, I was able to notice a burn smell from inside of the computer, I was not able to pin point exactly where it was coming from. I then let the computer cool down for the rest of the night.

After doing some research online (most of which was suggesting that the PSU had died), I did the paperclip test to test the PSU fan, which ended up not working. This led me to getting a new PSU (EVGA GQ 750 Watt Gold Power Supply).

- Upon removing the old PSU I smelled the ventilation in the back of it, which cleared smelled like burnt electrical parts. I also overlooked all the components and did not see any visible damage or smoke/burn marks.
- After installing the new PSU and cleaning the tower of dust, I went to power the system on, and got nothing.

I currently have the PSU connected to the Mobo with 1 stick of RAM and the CPU connected (the Mobo is sitting on the cardboard box it came in). On the mobo the power button is on, but upon pressing the power button other leds on the mobo light up, but power is not maintained. Basically upon pressing the power button everything lights up really quick and then loses power just as fast, the CPU fan does not spin.
- After it loses power, the power button led stills stays on, however if I press the power button again nothing happens. If I flip the switch on the back of the PSU off and then back on, I am able to press the power button on the motherboard and have the all the leds light up really quick and then shut off.

I believe that there may be a short somewhere on the motherboard that is preventing the system from working. I am unsure of how to continue from this point, as I am thinking that either the mobo or the cpu got fried when the computer lost power.

I built this computer back in 2014 and it has worked fine ever since.

Computer Specs:
Graphics Card: Gigabyte R9 270X GDDR5-4GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus Bronze
Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower Max AC
CPU: Intel i5-4690
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Yes mobo could have fried a bit, and possibly the cpu as well. You'd at this point take it into the repair shop so they can test all the components individually and see what needs replacing.