[SOLVED] Computer won't start; suspect CPU problem but unsure how to confirm

Pegu

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate any advice on why my computer isn't starting. I built this thing almost seven years ago and I believe the problem is due to either a degraded motherboard or processor, but I'm not sure how to confirm. A few days ago the computer started having trouble turning on -- it would keep trying to start and only sometimes work. The problem became worse; now it doesn't go to post. On the motherboard (Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard) the CPU LED is lit with an 00 error code. Assume this means a problem with the processor?

Please note, this is not a new build, I built this seven years ago and it's worked perfectly until now. Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pegu/builds/

I didn't install any new hardware or do anything to it before the problem started, with the exception of trying to run a game with a GPU requirement higher than what I have -- the game worked fine, but I guess it might have damaged something -- but if that was the case I'd except it to have damaged my GPU, which does not seem to be the problem (because of the number 4 test below).

I have already:
1-Run diagnostics on the RAM and the hard disks; appear fine
2-Tried turning it on with just one RAM stick
3-Cleaned and re-seated everything I could
4-Taken out the GPU and tried starting it with the monitor hooked up to the motherboard
5-Tested the PSU to make sure it works with this method: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Before I start buying new components I'd like to make sure I understand what's going on. Really appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Solution
Not all power problems start like a light switch...often making them harder to find....

BUt, when a rig won't start, most tinker with RAM sticks and then the PSU quite quickly just to rule those out...

NOTE: if you change PSUs do NOT mix and match modular cables from old PSU with new one. CHANGE ALL MODULAR CABLES.. or you can fry things pretty quickly!

Pegu

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Try unpluggin the pc from power source, pull the motherboard battery out and let it discharge for at least fifteen minutes. Then replace battery, plug in to power source and try to restart your computer. Advise on status then please.:)

Thanks so much for the quick reply... I tried that and unfortunately didn't work :(

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate any advice on why my computer isn't starting. I built this thing almost seven years ago and I believe the problem is due to either a degraded motherboard or processor, but I'm not sure how to confirm. A few days ago the computer started having trouble turning on -- it would keep trying to start and only sometimes work. The problem became worse; now it doesn't go to post. On the motherboard (Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard) the CPU LED is lit with an 00 error code. Assume this means a problem with the processor?

Please note, this is not a new build, I built this seven years ago and it's worked perfectly until now. Here's the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Pegu/builds/

I didn't install any new hardware or do anything to it before the problem started, with the exception of trying to run a game with a GPU requirement higher than what I have -- the game worked fine, but I guess it might have damaged something -- but if that was the case I'd except it to have damaged my GPU, which does not seem to be the problem (because of the number 4 test below).

I have already:
1-Run diagnostics on the RAM and the hard disks; appear fine
2-Tried turning it on with just one RAM stick
3-Cleaned and re-seated everything I could
4-Taken out the GPU and tried starting it with the monitor hooked up to the motherboard
5-Tested the PSU to make sure it works with this method: https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Before I start buying new components I'd like to make sure I understand what's going on. Really appreciate any advice. Thank you!
How did you run diags if the machine won't post?

So a failingg intel cpu is pretty rare compared to a failing motherboard. You can take the cpu to a computer repair store, if you have one in the area, and see if it is the problem. Or you can just go from the stance of a failed motherboard since you pretty much ruled out everything else.

Pegu

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
How did you run diags if the machine won't post?

When the problem started, the computer would start sometimes.

So a failingg intel cpu is pretty rare compared to a failing motherboard. You can take the cpu to a computer repair store, if you have one in the area, and see if it is the problem. Or you can just go from the stance of a failed motherboard since you pretty much ruled out everything else.

Thanks, I think you're right. Up until a few days ago the machine ran great, almost as well as when I first built it in 2014. Had a good run.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
When the problem started, the computer would start sometimes.

Thanks, I think you're right. Up until a few days ago the machine ran great, almost as well as when I first built it in 2014. Had a good run.
I just recently retired my 4790k rig. It still can run anything at 1080p, but my new 10 core/20 thread intel cpu is night and day from that rig! If you can make it happen I recommend going that way. You won't be disappointed. good luck.

Pegu

Honorable
Jul 24, 2014
Well, I moved the computer to another room to keep tinkering with it, plugged the monitor and computer into separate outlets, and to my surprise it booted up. Previously both plugs shared a single extension cord (and had for years). Seems to be working now, with each plug using its own outlet.

So it must be an issue with the PSU, after all, even though the PSU seemed okay based on the simple test I did. Still concerned about why it stopped working in the first place... and why it gradually stopped working over several days -- seems weird for a power problem.

Anyway, thanks all for your advice. Appreciate it. A new PC is coming some day... just didn't really want to upgrade quite yet.

Not all power problems start like a light switch...often making them harder to find....

BUt, when a rig won't start, most tinker with RAM sticks and then the PSU quite quickly just to rule those out...

NOTE: if you change PSUs do NOT mix and match modular cables from old PSU with new one. CHANGE ALL MODULAR CABLES.. or you can fry things pretty quickly!

Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution

alexbirdie

Respectable

That's very important. It might be unlikely, but even PSUs from same vendor might use different cables ( only the exact identical type of PSU might have the identical cables).

The connections to motherboard , devices etc. are well defined, but the PSU-side-connection is not and can be changed and done by PSU-vendor as he wants.