Computer won't start with several monitors plugged into the GPU.

Jul 28, 2018
Hello,

I have a GTX 1070ti (brand new) and I have encountered an issue, where my computer won't start if I have all my monitors plugged in to my GPU. When I shut down and unplug all except my main monitor, the computer starts fine and thereafter I can plug in the monitors and it is all good-to-go.

It hasn't always been like this and it is super weird.

PC specs:

Asus GTX 1070ti Strix
Asus ROG X CODE motherboard
i7-8700k
Asus PG279Q monitor
Samsung 960 EVO m.2
Kraken x62 watercooler
2800 mhz dominator corsair 16gb ram

Ralston18

Titan
Please add make and model PSU and its' age. The PSU may not or no longer be up to supporting multiple monitors via the GPU.

Could also be driver related. Look for the newest driver. If you already have that driver, reinstall and reconfigure.

Jul 28, 2018
Hello.

The PSU is the Corsair RM850x, 850W PSU

It is from 6 months ago.

Also I have encountered another issue. My gpu tends to shut down my all of my screens and let the music running and I then have to restart my pc for it to recover from it. It is super weird and it is nagging me :(

I have updated to the latest gpu driver and I will continue to monitor the computer's behaviour.

Jul 28, 2018
Hello again. I tried my best but I dont seem to be able to right click the red circles. There are no options.

I made a .gif showing the different "View technical details"

http://bit.ly/2Aj4IEp

I hope this help. If not I obviously wouldn't mind giving it another shot. I wanna get this sorted and any help is appreciated =)

Ralston18

Titan
You left-click the circles (or other icons) to get the related reliability details to drop down and then you view the technical details as your are doing.

The click is actually within the date column so anywhere therein should present the details.

Focus on the details related to the red circles.

The referenced application, for example: all of the problems may be related to one given application. Or a driver.

How many monitors are you using and how are they connected?

Start with all monitors and watch the errors. Remove monitors one by one. Determine if the error(s) clears with one particular monitor or another.

Change the order of monitors being removal. Could be the 2nd or 3rd monitor by numerical position versus make and model.

My thought is that your GPU may be at the root of things. Too many monitors at once may be more than it can sort out and handle at start up.

Driver is okay per se. Just not up to multiple monitors at boot up. Power related perhaps.

If Reliability History does not reveal anything meaningful, you still have Resource Monitor and Event Viewer.

And Performance Monitor: another tool although more complex and cumbersome.

Jul 28, 2018
So I have tried simply left-clicking but I am not really able to get anything other than this: http://bit.ly/2AotKSF to show. I can then click "View technical details" and it shows this: http://bit.ly/2AkCcCg

I clicked within the date coloum and it seemed to just show the same thing. The only actual program that is involved in the reliability history is the "GameManagerService" which has something to do with Razer Synapse but not necessarily the crash I suppose?

I am using 3 monitors. Two of them are connected via Display Port and the last one is connected via DVI. I tested them one by one but keep tripping over the same issue where the computer would crash with the sound either keeping on playing or going into some sort of "loop".

I tested my main monitor first (which is a 2K monitor, if it matters any) and it seemingly worked fine until I started up a game. Thereafter I tried once again starting it on only one of my secondary monitors without it crashing, but that could technically just be a matter of luck. The issue can happen at any given moment and I can't seem to force it.

One interesting thing I noticed was that since I plugged my main monitor in (Display Port) and only just one secondary monitor (DVI) the PC hasn't crashed. I am thinking that this might be an issue with the card not being able to read two display ports? I wouldn't know, this is guess work.

Most annoyingly is that I was a my parents house for almost two weeks without any crashed and when I got home and plugged in all the monitors the issues started to rise, once again as with my old GPU. I'm starting to fear that this might be another hardware related issue but as most of my gear is <6 months old I just don't want to believe it.

How would I know if it was another hardware related issue? Could this be software issues too? I have not once re-installed windows since the first crash with my old GPU. I am willing to try if you think I should.

Thanks again for your patience with me. =)

Ralston18

Titan
Those hardware issues are the key. They may not necessarily mean a physical hardware problem per se.

Maybe just some conflict or circumstances that the OS or GPU cannot handle. Source: GameManagerService or firmware related perhaps. Games do put demands on hardware.

Unfortunately pinning it down will take more effort. Try Resource Monitor and again methodically test. Look for other applications etc. that may be running in the background. One of them may be responsible: "phones home", tries to update, backup, power save, or otherwise just gets in the way of things.

Check Nvidia's Forums and FAQs. Someone else may be having (or had) a similar problem. Check the GTX 1070ti specs and see what you can learn about using multiple monitors. E.g., using two Display Ports.

Jul 28, 2018
The issues haven't occured since monday night. I currently have had two monitors plugged in since then. I am sort of afraid of plugging in the 3rd one, in case it triggers something in the system. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

I resorted to clearing my cmos and changing some BIOS settings. Also I wanted to try and skip the startup process as that could be leading up to some of the issues, so I've enabled hibernation-mode.

I'll try and shut it down completely once a week - I am not sure how it affects the computer if it is just turn on all the time.

Thanks again for your response, you perhaps have lead to a conclussion to my problems.