Computer Won't Start With USB Hub Connected

Hexxus

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
So I have an Asrock H61M/U3S3 motherboard. A couple of months ago i bought an Orico AC powered 8 port USB hub (4 USB 3.0, 3 USB 2.0, and 1 for charging), and it works just fine.

A week ago when i connect my new headset i found something, it turn out that I have forgot to plug the USB hub's power adapter to an electric socket. So all this time my USB hub have been getting the power from my motherboard. Okay, so that's cool I thought, the USB hub can powered it self from motherboard when the power adapter failed. So, I plug the USB hub power adapter to an electric socket. That's when the problem start.

My computer won't start, not that it won't boot, it won't start, as if the computer has no power. If I unplug the USB hub, the computer start just fine. When I plugged the USB hub while it got powered from a wall socket, it won't start. But if I plugged the USB hub without the power adapter, the computer start just fine, and the USB hub also work just fine.

I already tested the USB hub. Without plugging it to a computer the USB hub work just fine when it got it's power from an electric socket (as in I could charge my phone with it).

So for now, whenever I want to start my computer, I would unplug the USB hub power adapter, and after the computer start booting I would plug it back in. The computer and the USB hub work fine with this arrangement.

My questions is, what's wrong here? And would it be okay if continue the current setup, or should I replace my USB hub?

Edit: I've solved it by purchasing and installing a PCIe to USB 3.0 card. Moving the USB hub from MB's USB slot to the PCIe card USB slot has stopped the problem.

Solution
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) motherboard and I have the same problem...

1. USB 3.0 Hub: powered
2. Push the "power on" on the PC -> a little click sounds but nothing else happen (no bios, no fans on, nothing...)
3. I unplug the power on the USB Hub, and without touching the PC, it starts alone.... X-O

I have read this problems in a lot of forums... but no solution at all, beside defective usb hub, defective power supply, etc.

The problem for sure it's not a boot order problem... because with the USB Hub powered, the BIOS does not even start

I'll keep searching an answer....

Hexxus

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016

There is no option about usb's power in bios, I would assume that all of my MB's usb is normal usb.

I'm starting to suspect that this might be some electrical problem with this particular hub, for now I have unpluged the hub's power cord just because I'm afraid of what it might do to my MB, that is until I could get my hand on another hub.

Thanks for the response.

hackerock

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) motherboard and I have the same problem...

1. USB 3.0 Hub: powered
2. Push the "power on" on the PC -> a little click sounds but nothing else happen (no bios, no fans on, nothing...)
3. I unplug the power on the USB Hub, and without touching the PC, it starts alone.... X-O

I have read this problems in a lot of forums... but no solution at all, beside defective usb hub, defective power supply, etc.

The problem for sure it's not a boot order problem... because with the USB Hub powered, the BIOS does not even start

I'll keep searching an answer....

Solution
G

did you find a solution, my pc only starts if I plug out and then immediatly replug the usb hub device. Didnt find a solution yet.. Anyone's got a solution to that?

Hexxus

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
So, it's been 2 years, and I've forgotten about this. So anyway, I think the problem was in the MB being incompatible with powered USB hubs.

I've solved my problem by installing a PCIe to USB 3.0 card. Connecting the USB hub to this PCIe card, I've not had any problem anymore with my powered USB hub. I hope this help people with a similar problem.