Computer won't stay connected to my wireless network

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
So this has been an on going problem for me for several months, my computer will randomly disconnect from our wireless network and reconnect a few minutes later, the only way to reconnect faster is to reset my computers wireless network adapter. when i run the windows troubleshooter when the problem occurs all it does is reset the adapter then i can connect again. i don't have any networks within range that i can connect to besides my home wireless network, we also have 3 computers connected via ethernet to my router and they experience no problems what so ever, it is only the wireless computers. i have replaced both my desktops wireless card and router and the problem still persists and i have no idea what to do. there doesn't appear to be any schedule it happens on, i've had it happen every 15-30 minutes for days on end and i've gone a few days in a row with no issues.

http://pastebin.com/RadEcUJT

Solution
There are other possibilities - wireless devices of all kinds (wireless speakers, headphones, telephones, etc), microwave ovens, washers/dryers, televisions, and a wide range of electronic devices (we had a vacuum one time that crashed the network every time it was turned on).

How often do you restart this computer? (I hate it when tech support asks me this).

Last thing - you might need to take a look at the computer events that were occurring while this happened. It could be a driver conflict, or possibly a hardware conflict. Examples - reading/writing to a hard drive connected to a USB hub where your keyboard/mouse are plugged in could result in the keyboard and/or mouse not working (locked while read/write to HDD is occurring.)
The first thing I would try is to change the channel of your wireless network - there could be interference from other electrical devices and/or competing networks. Second thing - look at the IP Configuration for all computers - make sure your setup is the same (DHCP I am assuming - if you manually assign IP addresses - make sure that they all have different IP addresses).

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

as far as i am aware there are no networks on a channel similar to mine. also i am using dhcp and everything as far as i can tell looks good.
also sometimes with the windows troubleshooter it does not reset my wireless adapter, it says windows cannot connect to the hidden network and says make sure im in range and my settings match the network. yet they do of course because i can connect 99% of the time and i have a very strong signal. also i don't have my network hidden.

There are other possibilities - wireless devices of all kinds (wireless speakers, headphones, telephones, etc), microwave ovens, washers/dryers, televisions, and a wide range of electronic devices (we had a vacuum one time that crashed the network every time it was turned on).

How often do you restart this computer? (I hate it when tech support asks me this).

Last thing - you might need to take a look at the computer events that were occurring while this happened. It could be a driver conflict, or possibly a hardware conflict. Examples - reading/writing to a hard drive connected to a USB hub where your keyboard/mouse are plugged in could result in the keyboard and/or mouse not working (locked while read/write to HDD is occurring.)

Solution

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

i restart my pc every 2 days roughly. i guess i have a lot of searching to do then! thanks for the help. :)

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

I've confirmed that not all the devices connected to the same network are having problems, my desktop is and so is my brothers laptop however no other computer connected wired or wireless are having issues. what should i do?

What is the positioning of the devices in relation to the router? There could be issues in where they are located.

2nd thing to check could be a conflict with the drivers on the two computers. Make sure you have the most current drivers installed for the adapters.

Also, check to make sure that the IP setup (DHCP?) is the same. If manually utilizing IP Address assignment, make sure they are all different.

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

Router is on the main floor, one pc is in the basement the other on the upper floor. im using DHCP and the ip addresses for both computers are different however under my PC it shows two identical ip addresses with different MAC addresses and different names, one is labeled wireless the other labeled LAN

It appears your PC may have two connections setup, either on the same adapter, or multiple adapters. Try disabling one of them and see what happens (do not remove, just disable).

Also, if you have another wireless device that works, check connectivity in those areas to see if they drop connection.

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

on the other devices signal doesn't drop and the two computers with issues are still only dropping when they both are connected at the same time. i disabled all adapters on my pc except the one actually used and in my wifi setup it still shows two connections with the same ip and different mac addresses.

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

i don't have a vpn running or anything like that as far as i'm aware, i never set anything up.

Do you have wired and wireless on the PC? If you are using the wireless only, disable the wired connection.

Try downloading the most current drivers for the networking adapters, remove them (uninstall drivers), then install the new drivers for one of the adapters.

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

i have an ethernet port on my motherboard, it uses realtek drivers, i uninstalled them and disabled every single network device except the one i actually use and within my WiFi setup page it still says i have a wireless network and a lan network sharing an IP

fumbimo

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013

i found a work around to my problem, it isn't a fix though. i can connect my phone to my house network and tether the connection through a usb cable. speeds don't really take much of a hit at all and it works reliably.