Question Computer won't turn on after adding new hard drive

Feb 23, 2022
I recently installed an additional hard drive, and since its installation I've been having issues turning my computer on. For clarity, the drives are an SSD, a 1tb HDD, and a 4tb HDD (the new one). When I start the computer up, it will make the booting beep sound, the light on the motherboard/keyboard/mouse and the fans will all turn on, and the monitor acts like it's receiving signal, but it's just a black screen, no manufacturer logo splash screen or "hit f11 to enter bios" or whatever usual startup message. If I let it sit for 15-20 minutes, it'll eventually display a white text on a black screen saying something like no boot drive was found and to insert one.

I've been able to get it to consistently turn on after a shut down if I first turn it on with just the SSD and 1tb plugged in, then turn it off, then plug the 4tb in, then turn it back on. It does not boot up if I just unplug and replug the 4tb without the intermediate successful boot of just the old two drives plugged in.

The power cable that connects the 4tb also connects the 1tb and the SSD, so I don't think the cable's faulty. I've tried switching which plug-head goes into which drive without success, and I've tried different, brand new SATA cables on all three drives. I've unplugged/replugged the power and SATA cables probably 30 times at this point, so I don't think it's just that they're not plugging in correctly. I've also plugged each drive into different SATA ports on the motherboard in various arrangements, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

When I initially installed the 4tb, before it was formatted, the computer turned on fine, and I'm pretty sure the problems didn't start until after the computer had successfully turned on/off with it formatted a few times. Once the computer's actually on, the 4tb works fine - no data loss or weirdly slow speeds or anything.

I don't know enough about computers to have tried much, so I'm a bit stumped here and I'd appreciate any suggestions. It's a bit annoying to be opening up my computer twice every morning when I turn it on lol.

Hi SugarBooger (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Have you been into your Bios to priorities the drive that contains your Operating system.
If not then Press the F2 function key or spam the Delete key. Once in Bios then go to the Boot menu section and priorities the correct drive, Save and exit.
Sometimes you have to disconnect the other drives if you want to clean install the OS and priorities the USB.

Feb 23, 2022
I'm not sure if there's a way to unmark this question as solved, but the computer is having all the same problems as before :( Except now, the trick I had to get it to turn on (turn on w/ just two drives, off, on with three drives) no longer works, and also changing the boot order in Bios does nothing. It appears to be random as to whether or not it'll turn on with the new drive.

It took me seven tries to get my computer turned on this morning. Are there any next steps I can take to try and fix this?